Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Gmmg Exhaust help With slp cme

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmmg Exhaust help With slp cme

okay i know this is the wrong section, but im betting i get more knowledgeable people in this instance in section, so just bear with me, move it if you have to..

okay here is my question, i just ordered a gmmg cat back and it will be to my house on thurs, my car currently has the slp cme setup, does anyone know if the gmmg will fit right up with my cme tips without cutting the catback or the tips in any way,???

from the pics on gmmg's website it looks as if the 90* bends from slp cme tips slide right over the gmmg cat back, and then you just clamp it together.

does anyone have any experience with this? please let me know thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of the guys have done this. You will have to do "a little" modifying but nothing real tuff. You might go to the 35th LE website (www.35thle.com) as I know there is a thread going there on this as well as pictures that have been posted.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

thanks man, i am assuming in the forum. but under what section?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

alright i just got off the phone with matt murphy, really cool dude, helped me out a lot, i know exactly what i need to do to get my exhaust to work

thanks gmmg
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Just out of curiousity, what did you find out? I've read bits and pieces but still not sure. I've got a brand new CME set up layin around and should make use of it after blowing the money on it.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

basically i talked with matt, he told me that the fitments should be very close with minor tweaking to get the tips exactly centered, he explained it would be nearly impossible to manufacture something and expect it to be exact on especially with the amount of attention to detail to get the cme tips centered in the valence,

i am dropping it off in the morning with my exhaust guy, he knows i expect nothing but perfection, i cant wait to see the bill he's gonna drop on me when he's done lol.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the tips would just slide on with some new SLP cme elbows.Boy was I wrong!!! So to make a long story short, I broke the tips in half trying to get them on the Gmmg exhaust, had to get them rewelded with a brace in back, and finally wised up and bought two 90deg 2-1/2" mandel bent elbows from SLP. I then personally went down to the muffler shop and we slowly cut and expanded the ends until I was happy. This seemed to be the best for me. Here is some pics of the set up polished up real nice.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

congrats on your gmmg exhaust it is the best sounding cat back for a f-body
sounds even better with a cam
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

gmmg exhaust do's polish up very nicely
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
I thought the tips would just slide on with some new SLP cme elbows.Boy was I wrong!!! So to make a long story short, I broke the tips in half trying to get them on the Gmmg exhaust, had to get them rewelded with a brace in back, and finally wised up and bought two 90deg 2-1/2" mandel bent elbows from SLP. I then personally went down to the muffler shop and we slowly cut and expanded the ends until I was happy. This seemed to be the best for me. Here is some pics of the set up polished up real nice.

looks really good !
Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

O.K - same spot as you! My research - All the SLP work to the existing system is compression or crimped making it almost impossible to take apart witout damage. So don't expect to use any of the existing parts( elbows) of the old system except the tips-and be careful taking those off the elbows.
Don't weld or tighten anything! Put it together and adjust through the i pipe provided by GMMG. The right hanger will probably have to be moved slightly to fit into existing holder. You also will probably have to shave off alittle pipe between the chambered exhaust and the tips to make them square. If your exhaust guy is handy have him add an additional brace between the tips. Also you may want to add a couple of hangers to where the elbows fit into the tips for extra security. I bought a new pair of elbows on ebay made out of 304 stainless steel as i was told no heating or other methods will seperate the two -i heard many saying they had to cut three slits w/ a cutting tool to remove them hoping the clamps will reseal the slits? Got most of this info off the 35thLE site and phisically speaking to a few people who have installed them. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS

Brian - what did you use to shine them like that?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dondb
O.K - same spot as you! My research - All the SLP work to the existing system is compression or crimped making it almost impossible to take apart witout damage. So don't expect to use any of the existing parts( elbows) of the old system except the tips-and be careful taking those off the elbows.
Don't weld or tighten anything! Put it together and adjust through the i pipe provided by GMMG. The right hanger will probably have to be moved slightly to fit into existing holder. You also will probably have to shave off alittle pipe between the chambered exhaust and the tips to make them square. If your exhaust guy is handy have him add an additional brace between the tips. Also you may want to add a couple of hangers to where the elbows fit into the tips for extra security. I bought a new pair of elbows on ebay made out of 304 stainless steel as i was told no heating or other methods will seperate the two -i heard many saying they had to cut three slits w/ a cutting tool to remove them hoping the clamps will reseal the slits? Got most of this info off the 35thLE site and phisically speaking to a few people who have installed them. Hope this helps.

thanks for you help and input, fortunaetly my tips came with the extra bar already welded in, and my exhaust guy and me tried to do it with clamps, but it was just too hard and not worth it, we went ahead and welded them on, everything looks good, so im happy with it,
Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbird-TA
gmmg exhaust do's polish up very nicely
Most definitely, mine came out looking spectacular... I really love the sound, too.. With LTs, the GMMG sounds BADASS!

Originally Posted by dondb
Brian - what did you use to shine them like that?
I just used a buffing wheel and a lot of elbow grease... here's how it came out.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I could eat off of that, keep up the good work fella's.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here guys. I used a rotory buffer when I had the exhaust off the car this winter. I just buffed, and buffed, and buffed, and buffed......you get the picture. Also used a sander on the elbows to get them smooth.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks awsome! wish i had a stainless now lol
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

yeah i polished mine up the night before the install, i grabbed the power ball and mothers billet polish and went to town, took no time at all actually, im just debating to do that to my cme tips like you guys did
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say go ahead with the CME. IMO. Its well worth the extra cash.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a few on at GMMG with the CME setup. We broke a few of the tips (in the middel) every now and then but a chop saw and welder always worked in the end.

Good Luck with it.

Quick Reply: Gmmg Exhaust help With slp cme