Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SLP to the next level

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP to the next level

I love my Firehawk but I have always been envious of the GMMG cars. Sure the GMMG cars are exclusive but what I really admire about these cars is that the owner has an opportunity to upgrade them to higher performance levels directly through GMMG. As the performance bar is raised, GMMG owners can keep pace with GMMG authorized performance upgrades. The GMMG owner can increase the performance of their cars directly through the builder without destroying their exclusivity. In fact, the higher up the GMMG ladder the vehicle goes the more valuable it becomes!!
I don't understand why SLP does not offer a similar program for Firehawk/SS owners. How great would it be to be able to send your Firehawk back to SLP for a "factory authorized" performance upgrade. How cool would it be to be able to get an SLP built "Stage III" performance upgrade for your SS with a high perf SLP built 427 LS engine and high performance suspension pieces and still have it be all SLP.
Does this make any sense or am I trying to find a solution to a problem that does not exist?? I, for one, would love to be able to send my car back to SLP for an SLP authorized high performance transfusion. Anyone else? Just a thought.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

...I like where your head is!....It's just too bad that the "exclusive-ness" that GMMG cars have would fade away....
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can always take your car to Mecham and have them upgrade the car for you. You also get a dash plaque with series number. If i had the money i would take it there plus they have plenty of upgrade options. Take a look at the site. Love the exhaust tips.

http://mechamperformance.com/m_docs/z29r.html
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well since SLP doesnt even offer replacment "FIREHAWK" decals for my car (the advice was to have a local decal maker make me some), I suspect their intrest in maintaining cars that havent been made in almost 7 years doesn't exist. They have moved on to new things...which is understandable. I hate to see them forget about the cars that made them though.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I hate to see them forget about the cars that made them though.
Completely agreed....
Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I suspect their intrest in maintaining cars that havent been made in almost 7 years doesn't exist. They have moved on to new things...which is understandable. I hate to see them forget about the cars that made them though.
There's a huge difference ($$$$$) between maintaining cars and upgrading them. GMMG seems to be doing just fine upgrading cars that haven't been made in 7 years and they are not shy about the prices they charge.

Realistically, how tough would upgrading Firehawks and SS's be? There are a **** load of aftermarket parts for these vehicle. SLP works out a deal with some suppliers to offer an upgraded LS engine, some suspension components and some badging and create a "Stage 1" car. Up the ante with even higher performance goodies and call it a "Stage 2" package. The key is, the upgrades would be offered and installed by SLP as an authorized upgrade package - improving the performance yet preserving and possibly enhancing the value of the car.

When you look at the number of SS's/Firehawk in the marketplace vs. the number of GMMG cars, you would think that SLP's upgrade potential would represent a pretty good business opportunity.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a great idea, but one that isn't going to happen. Just do it yourself. I love my '99 Formula Hawk, and just because I've modded it and will continue to mod it heavily, it still gets props because it's still a Hawk. I know some would claim that it will lose value....so be it. I didn't buy this to let it sit and collect dust. I bought it to drive every day, and enjoy to the fullest. That means that I will continue to mod it to the full extent that my bank account will allow, I will still take very good care of it, and it will always be a Firehawk. It's only worth what it's worth to me, and that's not much in bone stock trim. But it would have been nice for SLP to do something like that. I think it would have been very popular.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by formuhawk99
There's a huge difference ($$$$$) between maintaining cars and upgrading them. GMMG seems to be doing just fine upgrading cars that haven't been made in 7 years and they are not shy about the prices they charge.

Realistically, how tough would upgrading Firehawks and SS's be? There are a **** load of aftermarket parts for these vehicle. SLP works out a deal with some suppliers to offer an upgraded LS engine, some suspension components and some badging and create a "Stage 1" car. Up the ante with even higher performance goodies and call it a "Stage 2" package. The key is, the upgrades would be offered and installed by SLP as an authorized upgrade package - improving the performance yet preserving and possibly enhancing the value of the car.

When you look at the number of SS's/Firehawk in the marketplace vs. the number of GMMG cars, you would think that SLP's upgrade potential would represent a pretty good business opportunity.
I also think your looking at two companies with totally different business plans. SLP mass marketed Firehawks and SSs through GM as factory cars, not specialty dealer installed optioned cars like GMMG. Their focus was building and selling new cars. They didnt have intrest in working on and modding customers cars. The SLP cars were assembled in an assembly line fashion...where as the GMMG cars were hand built on a one by one basis. So the shops are set up different. Thats the difference between selling 10,000 cars a year and selling 100. SLP at this point could care less about preserving or enhancing your cars value...they are probably hoping to get to do something to the new Camaro thats coming out. For them thats the future...not maintianing or modding a fleet of nearly decade old F-Bodies. Its sad but its reality.

BTW have you ever been to SLPs website? They offer all the parts you mentioned for sale already (even the "Stage I, II, & III" emblems). They are all SLP parts, and thats all I am adding to my Hawk. I even have a SLP TB for it...it cost way to much but it says SLP! They may even have SLP authorized installers you can carry your car to.

Last edited by 97ramsst; 09-05-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think the more SLP touched it the less it would be worth. Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP to the next level