***Everyone Please read*** - LS1TECH

***Everyone Please read***

Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
NOT BANNED

Default ***Everyone Please read***

This is an FYI for members to read and learn a bit more about the Background Dynamics of the Performance marketplace and a little bit about designing a product.

1. This is the Season for racing. People are buying and breaking the most equipment right now because it is a nice time of year were damn near anywhere in the states, you can drive your car and have Safe fun. No snow or major rain.

2. Major racing events are ongoing right now and people are Dying to just get that Critical part, or complete a car for an event or to make a NEED upgrade to be competitive. Part are Pushed to the MAX in order to get that nice purse at days end. That means more parts are going to break. You can theorize to death, but real data sometimes just won't match-up and Parts fail. It's a fact of Engineering and R+D. (Research and development.)

3. There is a multi-front war going on. The Military Machine has a Larger than normal demand being placed on the Market for materials.

This means that Sponsors and Vendors are swamped by Orders, Racing, and trying to develop a better product all at the same time. When winter hits they can change gears to other things, but right now is like March Madness to most vendors.

When it comes to Parts Availability, that may not even be in the hands of the Sponsors/Vendors. Because of the season and the extra demand overseas, Raw materials themselves are harder to come by in a pinch.

Patience is a virtue at this time of year. Please understand that you may order a part, and it may be out of the hands of the vendor because they are a middle man. That places them at the mercy of the supplier.

When it comes to new product development, this time of year can make it take longer to produce a product. Also there is the Design, and R+D time that NEEDS to take place.

A GREAT cravat is the: “Bigger, Faster, Cheaper. Pick 2” montage. It basically says that you cannot get all 3. That is what happens when a new product is developed.

When you are talking about speed parts, SAFETY should be a major concern. You don’t want to rush a product to market because it can be either unsafe or not good enough. Patience is again a better virtue here.

All said and done, PLEASE be patient with our Sponsors and Vendors. They are truly doing their best to satisfy the demands of our “tough” customers. I will be the 1st to say to all to keep up the good work.

Last edited by Richiec77; 08-07-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Richiec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
NOT BANNED

ALSO,

There are some vendors that due have other Markets that they build and compete in. It is not just an LS1/F-Body/Vette world out there.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Launching!

That's all great info - 'bout the only thing I'd add is the fact that these components are priced as competitively as they can be. Let's face it folks, if we wanted cheap, we'd be driving Honda's. Anyone who has done anything more than yer basic bolt-ons knows that stuff breaks, and that's why we have stronger stuff. Spend the money, it's worth it. Beyond that, don't play the sponsors against each-other. They're not stupid, they're well aware that we're looking for the best possible price. But from their perspective, they deliver a service, and with that comes a price. You can buy yer stuff online if you don't care about a human ever helping you, but God help you if you need help. Now granted, many of our sponsors have online stores, which is great - you still get the benefit of having a human to talk to if you need to.

I guess my points are these: do your own homework - don't come in here saying something like "I need a xxxxxxx by xx-xx-xxxx - what's the best price anyone can do?". You will get no response, at best, and a negative one at worst. Approach it in a more tactful manner.. Call (or visit the respective www) of each vendor, and do the homework. Search (can I emphasize SEARCH?) the threads here for history, and make a decision based on that. Oh yeah, in the unlikely event of a bad experience, there's an appropriate way to handle it - bashing is not tolerated from what I've seen. Guess that's one more reason I love this site!
Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Very well put

Thanks for understanding what we go through as vendors.

Regards,
Ryan
UMI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
On The Tree

I also agree, very well put. At the same time I think it should be mentioned to all the vendors/sponsors to not promise something that they cannot deliver. I don't mind waiting for a part if told up front that I won't get it for (insert time frame here___________) weeks. Before a sponsor takes your money they should definitively know when they will be shipping out. Honesty goes a long way. To be safe, OVER estimate the time it will take. That way when the part arrives earlier than expected everyone is happy.
CLOKWRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOKWRK
I also agree, very well put. At the same time I think it should be mentioned to all the vendors/sponsors to not promise something that they cannot deliver. I don't mind waiting for a part if told up front that I won't get it for (insert time frame here___________) weeks. Before a sponsor takes your money they should definitively know when they will be shipping out. Honesty goes a long way. To be safe, OVER estimate the time it will take. That way when the part arrives earlier than expected everyone is happy.
UNDER-promise and OVER-deliver.
BigDaddyBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
NOT BANNED

Quote:

I agree. I know that most Sponsors/Vendors won't take a payment until they know a part is available. But what if the supplier messes up??

The middle guy takes the brunt of abuse and has to then please the customer.

Vendors do have sales aggreements with suppliers. It is easier to sell THRU a reputable vendor than it is to set up a sales department. Maybe the vendor is good at building products, but is terrible @ sales.

So, say you order an a set of Heads or a Programer. The vendor has a status update that let's them know when and if it is available. The sell based on that information. If the supplier Mis-ships or Didn't bother to let them know that the product is behind, they get screwed in the end. Miscommunications can effect the supplier which then affects the vendor. All of that can lead to a fudged sale.

What if they DO call, and they DO get confirmation that the product is available. If the person they talk to on the phone doesn't know, the sale can go screwy too. If you have experience with Customer support or Tech support over a phone, it's the same thing. Sometime you can get ahold of a Moron. The Vendors have that problem too and they can't be 100% positive it's a moron or an intelligent person that they are talking too.

If you work with computers, you can also see the inherent issues with that being used as a sales Tool. If the database goes goofy (rain, tripped over the internet cord, Whatever human and natural issues) that can make the info wrong also.

In a Perfect world, a Sponsor/vendor can give you the exact dates or close to that. With the way it is now, that is hard to guarantee. So they have a hard time Guarantee'ing that a product will be made in time and arrive in time.

I'm just trying to give everyone who reads this an Idea of what the process looks like. Business is business. Certain 1's are easier to give a Delivery date. Others are not. Some business run in cycles (like ours) and others are year round.

Also, as F-body's and vette's get cheaper, the market get's more and more flooded with request's that is harder to predict.

Last edited by Richiec77; 08-07-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
TECH Addict

Quote:
That's all I've ever asked of people who I buy parts from, hell I used to restore British cars (Triumph, MG, Mini, Austin Healeys) I know about waiting for parts if there is going to be a problem with the delivery date, a simple (back then) phone call (or now) email. Will go along way in keeping me a satisfied (and repeat) customer.

To all the vendors who respond to our requests (and pestering ) thanks
2K2WS6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
NOT BANNED

Here is some more info. This is from a Question that I asked Ryan@UMI. Thanks again Ryan.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiec77
I know that Chrome-Moly reduces weight and is stronger at the same time.

Mine question is if I'm thinking correctly here:

The reason for the large cost in upgrading from Mild steel to chrome-moly is that the Material is slightly more expensive than Mild steel, but requires TIG welding and a more experienced welder. Both of the later add to the cost more than the material?
Response
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Yes you are actually correct about Chrome Moly. The Chrome Moly material is more expensive to purchase plus you sell less so it sits in stock longer, this also drives the cost up some. But yes the biggest expense is the cost welding. Chrome Moly must be TIG welded, the TIG rod for this cost about $22 a pound when mild steel rod can be bought at $2 a pound. Also when a company works with mild steel tubing and are MIG welding it they can leave large gaps where the tubing connects to another tube. When you TIG weld you can not do this, all your contours and radiuses must match for a good solid weld. We had an awful a lot of time doing this with out 3-points to allow use of Chrome Moly but we did it.
This shows why Chrome-moly Items are more expensive to buy and upgrade to. The other Part left out. is that there is all Gasses that need to be used with TIG welding that also adds to the Cost too.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
NOT BANNED

Default Why Don't some Sponsors Post their Prices????

This is the Originating Thread: Sponsors should post prices too.

Original Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
In the member For Sale section, we have to post prices...why shouldn't the vendors be required to do so as well?

I hate it when I see "Great deal on etc etc....please call or PM for pricing." (Speed Eng. )

It would be much easier and quicker to just have prices in the posts.
This Is from Scott Waldron @ FFHP (Force Fed High Performance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon SS
because us sponsors have requirements to meet from our vendors about advertised pricing. most will yank our dealership if they see us post a price for a particular amount below retail price. some wont even let you run Group purchases on there product such as afr and flp.
And from Tom @ TBYRNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbyrne
It would be much easier for everyone but vendors have guidelines that we have to follow. Here is a breif rundown of what we have to deal with -

Some manufacturers don't care what we sell/advertise for. That makes it easy for everyone.

Some (alot) of manufacturers have what is called MAP (minimum advertised pricing). That is the lowest price that a vendor is allowed to advertise. Go to low once and you'll probably get a call. Keep doing it and you can be cut off from that company. Lower pricing can be given over the phone or through e-mail but not advertised.

Then there are prices that can't be put in writing if they are to low. The only way those can be given is over the phone.

And finally there are some manufacturers that won't allow vendors to sell products below a certain price (period). No low pricing through e-mail, over the phone, whispered through a crack in the back door... nothing! Vendors that don't follow that rule can also be cut off.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
TECH Apprentice

Everyone that has ever ordered parts definitely needs to read this thread. There are some occasions where customers do have a valid case and can understandibly be pissed off, but everyone needs to try to think about things like are posted above before they call up bitchin' and moanin' about everything.
'99slobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
10 Second Club

Communication is the key here.... If a supplier f'd up, the vender needs to tell their customer.
02 BLK WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #13
Banned

Being loyal to a vendor often results in building a friendship. A true friendship always outweighs a lower price.
Jakes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
FormerVendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes Dad View Post
Being loyal to a vendor often results in building a friendship. A true friendship always outweighs a lower price.
that is so true it ain't even funny
ModularTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote