Go Back   LS1TECH > Featured Vehicles & Products > Sponsor Vehicle Projects & Shop Tours
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sponsor Vehicle Projects & Shop Tours See what your LS1TECH Sponsors are working on.

Introducing FIC01 - Turbo C5 Corvette Build

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Banned

Trader Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts
Default Introducing FIC01 - Turbo C5 Corvette Build

Click the image to open in full size.

Preface
As some of you may have known, I had a 2002 C5 Corvette since the time I was working at H***** Turbo Systems. Until this point, it was a stock bottom end car with truck heads running the H****** Turbo fender mounted turbo kit with twin PTE turbochargers.

This year the car finally was ready to rock and roll, and I took it out to byron a couple of weeks ago to get my first 1/4 mile passes in. I had just put in a Synergy 2 step and installed my newly acquired CCW drag pack wheels. Prior to this point, i had been running the car off the waste gate springs at about 7.5 psi which was making ~620 to the rear tire. Fine for a stock bottom end, especially with the conservative tune I had in it. I knew I wanted to go with a bigger setup/engine and I figured i'd go all in. I slapped on a MBC and cranked up the boost (i had the fuel system to back up whatever was to come). I did a shakedown pass at byron, first run ever, slowly leaving the light, and not hitting it until about the 60 foot mark. The car proceeded to pull like a **** and light up the new M/T's on the back. When 3rd gear came.. KABOOM.

Based on my datalogs and calculations from inj duty cycle/a/f ratio, I was putting down about 760 rwhp. (this was with a untouched bottom end, stock rod bolts even). No detonation, and until the point of failure the a/f was still 11.4:1, rock solid. Just a horsepower failure. Every rod left the crankshaft and made nice windows all over my 20,000 mile stock shortblock.

Click here for the video of this pass.

To be continued..
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Banned

Default Part 1

The chassis is now at Profile Racecraft in Bangor, MI. (http://www.profileracecraft.com)

A fabrication shop run by Ralph Morkvenas, owner of the NMRA Super Street Outlaw Mustang, driven by JR Granatelli.

The H****** Turbo Kit (fender mounted) came off and a completely fresh, one off single turbo kit is currently being fabricated, with a XXXmm Precision Turbo & Engine large frame turbo mounted in the front fascia. Pics to come. Also being done is a full cage and custom fuel cell. We have also fitted a TH400 with a transbrake in the location of the factory transmission. The car is remaining with IRS.

Back in Chicagoland, AES is assembling the motor for this ~2000hp project.

What we have thus far:

(427 CI)

GM Bowtie LSX Block
Factory Forged LS7 Crankshaft (4.00" Stroke)
LS7 Factory Dry Sump Oiling System
6.100 " GRP Billet Aluminum Rods
Completely custom Wiseco Forged Pistons, 4.125" Bore
ETP 6 bolt LS7 cylinder heads
Wilson Billet Bank LS7 Intake Manifold
Solid Roller Setup, custom ground cam

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

A special thanks to Fraser @ Speed Inc, he actually hand delivered my crank to my engine shop, 2 days earlier than I expected to go to speed Inc and pick it up. Thats what I call GOOD customer service.

Last edited by Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts; 12-11-2007 at 12:49 AM..
Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Banned

Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Banned

By the way, this is going to remain a street car as well.. I still plan on driving it downtown/etc.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Banned

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement
Closed Thread