Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD to Tape Deck swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD to Tape Deck swap?

I have a '95 with the stock CD deck that wont play burned CD's worth a crap.Skips unless I'm on a flawless road.

Want to swap it out with an OEM tape deck,so that I could cheaply listen to my MP3 player instead using a radioshack tape adapter.Is this a pretty easy direct swap? What year tape decks are compatible with my 95? Would a stock tape deck operate with my power antenna for the AM/FM radio? And would my steering wheel controls still work?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be plug and play. I did the opposite in my 96 Firebird.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just do the audio out mod on the CD deck?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squee
Why not just do the audio out mod on the CD deck?
Don't know what that is,search doesn't turn up anything on that.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
Don't know what that is,search doesn't turn up anything on that.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/688297-how-you-can-add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter.html
Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks,but that's not going to work for me,as my CD player barely works half of the time.

Can anyone tell me what years will work in my car,and if my power antenna will still work.I'm not sure but I think only cars that came with CD players got the power antenna?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
Thanks,but that's not going to work for me,as my CD player barely works half of the time.

Can anyone tell me what years will work in my car,and if my power antenna will still work.I'm not sure but I think only cars that came with CD players got the power antenna?
My 95 came with a tape deck, and a power antenna. Any year from 93-02 should work just fine for you. Also came with steering wheel controls.. everything is the same.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not just buy aftermarket? or get a new cd player, could be something faulty in the one you have now
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
My 95 came with a tape deck, and a power antenna. Any year from 93-02 should work just fine for you. Also came with steering wheel controls.. everything is the same.
Cool,now I just gotta find a factory tape deck somewhere...ebay seems to be low on them.

Originally Posted by slayerized6
why not just buy aftermarket? or get a new cd player, could be something faulty in the one you have now
I thought about that,but I've evolved from CD's and I want to keep my interior looking factory.I'd also lose my steering controls unless I got one of those adapter devices,which would be getting into more $$$ than I wanna cough up.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

mp3 -> tape deck = horrible audio quality. i know, i've tried it with many adapters.

why not get an fm transmitter and save the hassle? quality might even be a bit better.

also, on ls1s, there was a cd changer out on the radio which you can adapt to direct ipod plug in i have heard. might be on your radio too.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the ipod adaptor, it only works on certain year LS1s, like 2000+ radios. so get a 2000+ CD player and then get an ipod adapter that plugs in through the CD changer plug. it might cost a bit more, you itll look factory, keep the steering wheel controls, allow ipod hook up, and you can stil play CDs if you ever want to.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
mp3 -> tape deck = horrible audio quality. i know, i've tried it with many adapters.

why not get an fm transmitter and save the hassle? quality might even be a bit better.
Actually, a cassette adapter gives much better sound quality than a wireless FM modulator. In fact, almost anything gives better sound quality than a wireless FM modulator. They're great for convenience but that's about the only thing good about them. They suffer from static and interference caused by commercial FM stations and they have extremely poor stereo separation.

Hard wired FM modulators (plugged directly into the antenna cable) can be good or bad depending on the model you get. The good ones completely cut off the AM/FM antenna from the head unit when in use to eliminate any static or interference. The sound quality is equivalent to that of a really strong local FM station.

Cassette adapters provide a direct signal connection to the head unit without the signal modification of an FM modulator. They provide very good sound quality although their dynamic range is limited by the design of the tape heads and the quality of the adapter.

Connecting through the CD changer port provides the best possible quality. The adapters are somewhat overpriced but they retain the factory look and function of the head unit and steering wheel controls. Some iPod-specific adapters even recharge the iPod while it's plugged in.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Yeah,I've had a cassette adapter before and was pretty satisfied with it.I just bought a FM transmitter and I am not that happy with it.Lots of hissing....