Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

adding amp with stock deck??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adding amp with stock deck??

I want to keep the factory deck in my car....I already have JVC speakers, and Im gonna be upgrading the sail panel factory subs to 8" rockfords....

I want to wire in a aftermarket amp only to the two sail panel subs, and I want to keep my factory deck by doing that. I have wired up many stereo systems, but with aftermarket decks....and my question is, where am I gonna hook up the RCA cables to the factory deck going to the amp? all the other wiring im not too worried about.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Have to hook a line level converter to the stock speaker wires which converts the signal to rca jacks.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You'll also have to do considerable cutting of sheet metal to make 8" speakers fit in the sail panels and then you'll have to worry about mounting depth.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

you can pick up that converter at any Wal-Mart for $20 or something like that. its a little blue box like 4x6. its pretty self explainatory too.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 8" subs in my sail panels and for the record I would not do it again. Not that it doesn't sound good or anything but there are better options. At the time I did this I didn't have access to or know about some of the other options I could have gone with that were available in a 6.5" size. Rather then cut the sail panels to gain room for an 8" sub you could use something like this:

Here's a video of what they are capable of as far as bass goes:
http://media.photobucket.com/video/c...UDIO/es-06.flv

These would far outperform an 8" RF sub and fit without having to cut your car up. You would need a spacer to get them enough depth but that is much less complicated then breaking out the scroll saw and cutting sideways.
This is the route I will be taking in the near future after I redo my sail panels so I can get them in there. The subs I have in there now are CDT EF-8 carbon fiber subs.
I could get you a great deal on those ES-06+ or the CDT M-6+ which are just as capable. Both have over 12mm of excursion.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You'll also have to do considerable cutting of sheet metal to make 8" speakers fit in the sail panels and then you'll have to worry about mounting depth.
already 100% aware of this.

I have built 4 different turbo kits for my last camaro....I can manage this
Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by forgotten LT1
you can pick up that converter at any Wal-Mart for $20 or something like that. its a little blue box like 4x6. its pretty self explainatory too.
and does it just tap into any speaker wire??
Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
and does it just tap into any speaker wire??

NO! Tap the wires that come directly out of the stock HU.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
NO! Tap the wires that come directly out of the stock HU.
and what colors will those be...

also, what about the amp remote wire?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a question for KeeAudio. I was looking on your site and saw the package deal you have for our cars. My question is would the stock HU be powerful enough to power all 6 of those speakers?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
and what colors will those be...

also, what about the amp remote wire?
ask for a wiring diagram from chevy or get a book from parts store for the colors. generally the + and - wires for the speakers r complementary (green +, light green -) just test each wire if u dont want a diagram. the amp remote wire is tapped into the ignition power source for the radio (ignition, when the key is on; NOT battery power aka 12 volt constant) also i have 2 eights from pioneer in my camaro right behind the back seat on the ledge. they each have their own box with a tweeter. i believe they r truck speakers(box is slanted to sit upright but i lay them flat.) this is an easy way to put subs in without cutting and grinding.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just look in the sticky thread and it will tell you what wires to tap into for high level inputs for adding an amp to the stock head unit for both camaros and Trans Ams. What I did just last week was tap into the speaker inputs into the stock amp. There is a connector into the stock amp and the sticky will tell you which are the rear hatch input wires. Do not tap into the out put wires since they are boosted by the amp.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackTA96

I've got a question for KeeAudio. I was looking on your site and saw the package deal you have for our cars. My question is would the stock HU be powerful enough to power all 6 of those speakers?
Replied to in a PM! Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:15 PM

PAC audio part #AOEM-GM21C That's what I would recommend it plugs into the factory radio and gives you hook ups for your RCA's. I used the same thing in my truck and it was simple and you don't have to do any splicing

Quick Reply: adding amp with stock deck??