Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail subs dont work...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sail subs dont work...Help!

Ok i bought the car this way and i still cant figure it out. the sail panel subs dont work and there is no sound coming from them at all. my whole system is stock. where are the sail speakers hooked up to? are they hooked up to the headunit or the factory amp? maybe they are not hooked up but how would i check? could it be something else? any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Everything you want to know about the Monsoon system and its wiring is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

As far as your sail panel subs not working...they could be blown (especially common in Camaros), they could be disconnected, or the previous owner may have put some kind of incompatible replacements there. The first thing to do is pull them out and check their condition and connections.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

pulled them out. they look like stockers. the wires behind the speakers were hooked up. they are not blown by looking at them.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

ok still dont know why my sail speakers dont work. stumbled upon something else i dont know...ok so my car came already wired up and ready to put an amp and sub in. did our cars come that way from the factory?? anyways there is a wiring harness coming off of the stock wiring for the left rear speaker and is just hanging there not hooked up to anything. do any of you guys have this?? and what is it for? i was thinking that this harness was for my sail subs and it was supposed to hook up to something else, like an amp. but i dont think thats what that harness is for. the first two pics show this harness.

also, there is a thing that runs my aftermarket amp that is wired from the left rear speaker. i know this is how my amp gets the signal to work cuz it is hooked up with rca cables. but there are also wires coming from that, that are cut and not hooked up. this thing is called an andjustable output adapter. is this how you guys hooked up your amp also? the last pic shows this.

it looks like somebody did a whole lot of other stuff to this car with their audio setup or something. i know its hard to see in the pictures but if anyone knows if my setup is normal, or if this has anything to do with my sail subs, or what all that junk is...let me know. thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

oh DUH! lol isnt that for the cd changer?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The 9-pin factory connector is for the optional CD changer. All Monsoon systems came with the wiring harness even if you didn't get the optional changer.

The box is a LOC (line out converter) that converts speaker level signal to line-level (pre-amp) signal for use as input to an aftermarket amp.

Neither has anything to do with the sail panel subs unless the previous owner rewired the subs from the factory amp to an aftermarket one.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

i see. thanks a lot for your help.