Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to install the "iSimple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up How to install the "iSimple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird)

Hey guys, I got the idea from a friend to install the "iSimple ipod interface for factory radio" adapter kit into my car. I got the adapter kit and did a little write up with pictures to show you the ease of the install of it.

It's easy!!

It works with ipods AND iphones (the newest iphone will only play, and not charge the phone). When you plug it into your iphone it asks you if you want to go into airplane mode. Say no and the phone will still ring like normal. (Please note: Your head unit must be between '00-'02. If not, it wont work AT ALL!! There is a sticker on top of the H/U, it'll have the date made printed on it)

When your iphone does ring, the music fades down and pauses and the ringtone goes through the speakers. While you're on your iphone all sound is muted through the speakers. Only the person with the phone can hear the caller. Once you end the call, the music fades up from where it paused itself and continues playing.

It's sweet!!

Here's the write up:

1. Here's the box. I picked it up at best buy 2/23/08 for $99.95

2. What the "interface" looks like. Make sure your head unit was made between '00-'02. On the interface, make sure that the 3 & 8 switches are flipped dowm, and all the rest are up.

3. Box picture of the hook up. (does come with instructions) It REALLY is THAT simple!

4. Where I installed the interface:

5. The new harness (PXHGM1) connects to the stereo, and the old harness plugs itself into the new harness. (The power harness stays untouched and gets plugged back in)

6. See the location of the interface? Also note that the old harness is now plugged into the new harness. Dont forget to plug your "power" harness back in!!

7. The location in relation to the radio and air ducts

8. Bezel about to be replaced. You can see the interface is neatly tucked up. (I secured the interface to the side using 1" velcro. Clean the area thouroughly with alcohol before appling the velcro, It'll make for a better sticking surface)

9. Last pic of the "box". All wires have been re-connected and bezel is put back on. SUPER easy install.

10. Where the iphone/ipod connector comes out from. This is only a temporary spot as I dont want wires around my feet as I drive. i'm trying to find a "clean" place to stash it so it's out of sight. In my friends M6, he installed it through the ashtray, as it's behind the shifter. I think mine will be in the ashtray as well. (I have an A4, and it's in FRONT of the shifter)

The whole install took me about 35 minutes, and i'm really **** about looks.

Hope this helps fellas!!

-KING

*UPDATE*

Pictures after running the cable through the ashtray in an A4 (kinda big, sorry):

Last edited by Sommer86; 10-09-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great! do you talk through a speaker or something on the phone? im a bit confused as to how you talk on it while its plugged in, i saw the music turns down but do you have to talk on the actual phone or just through the speakers in the car like a speaker?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Let's say your iphone is plugged in and playing music. If you get a call, the music will fade down in a 1/2 second and pause, and the iphone will ring through the speakers. You then pick up your phone and talk through it as usual (your call will not go through your speakers)...or if you have it hooked to an earpiece, you talk through it. It isn't hands free, it's just a ipod/iphone adapter.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The device will work with any head unit that is capable of controlling a factory CD changer. For CD head units that means 2000 and newer (actually late 1999 but there's no easy way to tell an early model from a late one). Cassette head units from all model years 1997 and newer will work.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

I have an 01 WS6 and there isn't anything resembling an AUX button. It did not come with a factory changer just the slot up front. All I have for buttons are a CD/Play, Eject, AM/FM and Recall. If I were to do this would it just go to the ipod and not the CD in the head unit after the install?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Camaros have a CD/Aux button, Firebirds have a CD/Play button that does the same thing.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks whitebird00...good to know!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything along these lines for the Zune?
It's extremely clean, and to my understanding does not forfeit the cd player?
I'm really trying to go this route rather then solder in a connection and lose the cd player.
Thanks.
-Matt
Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
I'm really trying to go this route rather then solder in a connection and lose the cd player.
Thanks.
-Matt
No idea....but is your friend.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The device will work with any head unit that is capable of controlling a factory CD changer. For CD head units that means 2000 and newer (actually late 1999 but there's no easy way to tell an early model from a late one). Cassette head units from all model years 1997 and newer will work.
Hmm, So does that mean it will work with an 06 GTO? Would be nice, I need one of these.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
Hmm, So does that mean it will work with an 06 GTO? Would be nice, I need one of these.
Not that same specific adapter but there are equivalent models for newer vehicles like your GTO.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Thanks.
-Matt
There are no Zune-specific adapters for any vehicle to my knowledge. You can use an ordinary auxiliary input adapter such as the GM9-AUX but you won't have control of the Zune from the radio.

None of these adapters cause you to lose the built-in single CD player but they do make you give up the external CD changer if you have one.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

ive added the same thing but for where the cord comes out, i ran it under the center console so it comes out in the arm rest console. keeps the ipod out of the way

you have to run the cord from the console to the radio as the ipod connection side is large. just cut a big enough hole for the other end to fit in
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

I ordered one of these and can't wait to get it to hook it up. I think that I am going to put mine in the glove box though. That way I won't need to cut any holes.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Okay, so I finally got my iSimple and hooked it up just the way that the instructions and this write-up show. When I plug my iPod in, it doesn't work. The CD changer still works, but the iPod doesn't. I set the #3 & 8 swtiches to "on" just like the instructions stated. I am wondering if it might be my iPod? I am going to try a different iPod and see if that isn't the problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ What year is your head unit? It needs to be '00 or newer. Also, I think if it's connected correctly, your CD changer out back no longer works.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Sommer86
^^^ What year is your head unit? It needs to be '00 or newer. Also, I think if it's connected correctly, your CD changer out back no longer works.
No and yes... 98+ cassette head units and 2000+ CD head units all can control the changer but since he already has a working changer we know the adapter is compatible. However, the changer MUST be disconnected for the adapter to work.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

You know what I meant....lol
Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

So I just need to disconnect the changer then? I wonder why it allows you to plug both in at the same time? I will give that a try then.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help! I unplugged the CD changer and the iPod works great. I still don't understand why the adapter is able to plug in both the CD changer and the iPod.

Quick Reply: How to install the "iSimple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird)