Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a how to.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a how to.

I am going to be changing the ignition cylinder in my car this evening.

The resistors in my stock cylinder have wore out and the wire has somehow broke. Is there a good how to do this..possibly with pictures. Detailed as possible would be nice...thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the airbag fuse, wait at least 5 minutes.
3. Remove the T30 torx screws holding the airbag to the steering wheel.
4. Disconnect the airbag electrical connector.
5. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Mark the wheel position on the column splines so you can put it back in the same position.
6. Use a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. DO NOT use brute force or a hammer to remove the wheel.
7. Insert the ignition key in the cylinder but leave it in the lock position.
8. Remove the lock retaining screw (it is under where the steering wheel was at about the 1 o'clock position).
9. Disconnect the ignition switch harness at the base of the steering column.
10. Disconnect the wiring retainer clip (it is under where the steering wheel was at about the 3 o'clock postion).
11. Gently pull the wiring harness up through the steering column.
12. Remove the ignition cylinder.

Installation is the reverse. The toughest part is fishing the harness back down through the column.

BTW, there are no resistors in the ignition cylinder or steering column. The resistor is on the key and the ignition cylinder merely has contacts that touch both sides of the key resistor when it's inserted.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u could always just bypass the vats
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, the dealership told me the wire to the cylinder was broke...so i hope this fixes it.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo bypass it first to make sure thats really the problem
Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok this eveing i ran out of time to finish and i got stumped.

I removed the airbag and the steering wheel..unfortanetly at this point is was dark freezing cold outside and I had a headache.

I am going to finish it tomor the only thing is this.

When I took off the steering wheel i did not see the screw that you were talking about..I turned it and then i could see a dark star screw(sorry no popular vocab). the only thing is that the black lock on it that keep your sttering wheel lock. It had to be over the silver thing that poped out to lock it...it was repressing it but that was the only way to get to that screws...and it doesnt look like that screw hold all that in..cause I assume you have to unscrew that to remove everything.

Sorry im kinda sick and i am trying to get as much info as i can before i get up at 430am to go to work...work 12 hours...then come home and finish this asap..before the rain gets here.

Pics would be awesome.....thanks kevin.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, I don't have any photos but I did find this diagram that may help:

1 = ignition cylinder
2 = lock retaining screw
3 = harness retaining clip
4 = VATS harness
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks that does help alot.

I was wondering the steering wheel lock in which i was talking about...do I need to remove that or will i just be albe to leave it in place where it is and then undo that screw and be able to pull out the cylinder. Doesnt look that little black screw would hold that in but LOL..I have never done this before. But the black circular lock is there a way to remove it?

Thanks for all the help guys...May acutally post pics this evening and let someone make a detailed walk throught for this...cause most people are like me...dont wanna get charged a 200 and something dollar labor fee for the dealer to do this when it can be done in your yard.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you do have to remove the steering wheel lock. There is a tool to press it down then there is a snap ring you have to remove. Then you should be able to get to all that stuff under there.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

According to the GM service manual, the steps I listed are all that's necessary to remove the ignition cylinder. I had the wheel off this weekend but I wasn't working with the ignition so I can't say for sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I know how to do it now...just not sure about how to remove the steering wheel lock..well i know i can push it down enought to get my buddy to undo the snap ring..my problem is getting it back on.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

well is was kinda a pain...but i did get it fixed. turns out in the old cylinder one of the wires was completly broke off from the cylinder...no wonder my car wouldnt start lol.

but now it cranks everytime....thankgod.