Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Jensen VM9512HD help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Jensen VM9512HD help

Hey guys just installed a Jensen VM9512HD head unit last night into my 2000 Z-28, and overall im pretty satisfied but i have some things i need to figure out. There is a parking break wire which im not sure what to with, and i know i need to do something because it will not play DVDs because it doesn't know if the parking break is on or not. I was talking to a buddy and we basically figured out that if i wire that parking break wire to a ground, and put a toggle switch between it, i should be able to simulate an ebrake? Has anyone on here have an experience in solving this problem?

Also, i installed a SWI-PS module to use my steering wheel controls, which turns on but wont let me program correctly. Has anyone installed this module with a similar HU on a 98-02 Camaro that has any idea how to make it work correctly?

Thanks guys
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the swi-ps read and re read the directions

u cant just ground the wire for Pbrake u have to get a pac tr7 or toggle switch it. it shoudl really be hooked up to the parking break for proper opertaion
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

a lot of people have used the swix. not sure what the difference is.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The SWI-PS and SWI-JACK are steering wheel control adapters for aftermarket head units that have wired remote capability. The SWI-PS is for Pioneer, Sony and some Jenson models. The SWI-JACK is for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood models.

The SWI-X is a "universal" adapter that works with almost any aftermarket head unit that has an infrared remote (some Sony units are the major exception).
Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The proper way to connect the parking brake wire is to the parking brake switch. Remove the top of the center console and splice the HU parking brake wire to the light blue wire on the parking brake switch at the bottom of the lever.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Ok guys I took care of the parking brake problem. But still im having no luck with the SWI-PS. I called up pac audio and tried to get some tech help but those guys dont know a thing about customer service and didnt help me trouble shoot at all. The SWI-PS turns on and everything, but it seems like my steering control buttoms are just not reacting to the module.