Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp Rack

Hello All,
I am posting because I need an amp rack for my car. I have a stealth box with 2 Orion XTREME 400 Amps sitting at the bottom of the well on top of probably what seems like a mile of wires (I don't wanna cut them due to the question of where my final mounting location will be). Can anybody show me good way of mounting that won't have me drilling the crap out of my car to mount stuff. I did some searching on here, but I would like some new ideas. I saw a nice write up on installuniversity with wire conduits and nice jig cuts along the back wall of the car, but I have to get this done, the back of my car looks like sh$% (no interior panels and wiring/stereo stuff thrown back there). Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Subthump amp rack. Google it.

Not my car.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I have heard of them and I have looked into the subthump rack. I heard bad things such as the customer service is bad, there's no bolts included and you have to find your own way to mount it up, etc. If people chimed in and said that their amp rack from Subthump was good, I'd consider it. But $67 for a piece of wood with fabric over it that still requires me to put my own mounting strategy into it while having poor customer service doesn't seem worth it.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you figure in your time, then you cant build one yourself for much less than that. You would still need to find a way to mount it and all of that same stuff as the subthump rack. It would probably be twice or more to have a stereo shop make it and cover it.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

No complaints here with subthump amp rack.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Launching!

I have the subthump amp rack as well and it works fine. Its really not all that difficult to mount and if you buy one he will tell you how to do it w/o drilling into your car. Cost me just a few dollars and about 10min to make the brakets for it.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Here's my custom made rack. Big box has since be replaced by a JL Audio stealthbox.

My buddy has one of the Subthump boxes. It's not made well and you can do much better IMO.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

SSNISTR, I like your setup. I had a similar setup when I had 2 10's in an MDF box, I just screwed the bottom of the amps to the sub box and had them mounted in a similar way. how does yours mount up? Did you drill into the gas tank area? By the way, I really like your car. My buddy has an NBM Firebird with ZR1's on it, and that color with ZR1's really looks well. Especially so when clean. So far it seems hit or miss with this subthump box idea. To 99345hp, you do have a good point when considering time and cost of materials. Strobin SS seems to like his subthump box. I might have to go with it. Do you have any pics of it installed in your car?

Quick Reply: Amp Rack