Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signal turns off cruise control?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signal turns off cruise control?

I was driving and used cruise control at like 70mph tonight, and used my right turn signal and noticed when i did, the cruise control turned off and i was idleing, my foot was not directly on the brake either, did it twice, any ideas?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm possible its a setting. computer figures you aren't "cruising" if turning? weird. or could be some kind of short.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, my guess would be a short in the switch to turn off cruise.. is it only when you use the right signal?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you have a broken or frayed wire in the signal switch. could be grounding out inside of there when you signal. or a broken wire could send a signal that you moved the cruise control switch to the off position.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
hmmm possible its a setting. computer figures you aren't "cruising" if turning? weird. or could be some kind of short.
not a setting...how would you explain changing lanes when using cruise (something I do probably 40 times a day)...the wiring for the cruise control is in the turn signal stock, I would be it's chafed inside of the collum and is losing continuity when you move the stalk
Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
not a setting...how would you explain changing lanes when using cruise (something I do probably 40 times a day)...the wiring for the cruise control is in the turn signal stock, I would be it's chafed inside of the collum and is losing continuity when you move the stalk
This sounds like it may be, it does it about half the time, and only the right signal, thanks for the replies.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foxrox0620
This sounds like it may be, it does it about half the time, and only the right signal, thanks for the replies.
It's very easy to check that wiring out, as well as to replace the stalk. The cover on the collum where the stalk goes in just pops out (try to pop it directly away from the collum, which is sorta leftward and sorta towards the dash). I'd bet you can find another one in a junkyard on any of all kinds of GM models...they used the same stalk and cruise switches and wiper controls on all kinds of vehicles for YEARS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal turns off cruise control?