Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote locks but won't unlock help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote locks but won't unlock help.

Did a search and found a couple of things that I tried but that didn't solve the problem.

Basically, I have a 97 Trans Am. The remote locks the doors but will not unlock them. This is a huge PITA b/c I have to get in the car like I'm freaking Flash Gordon to make sure the alarm doesn't start going off.

I know it's not the battery, since the doors lock just fine. I also tried holding the lock and unlock buttons for 7 seconds, and that didn't help.

Any ideas or helpful insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guessing you have an aftermarket alarm system. Im kinda having the same problem with my factory keyless entry systme. I can only unlock the doors and pop the hatch. For some reason it wont let me lock the doors.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem where the keyfob would lock but not unlock. I bought a brand new one off eBay and programmed it myself (takes a whole 15-seconds) and haven't had an issue since.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

well, i bought 2 of them off ebay as well because when i bought my car i didnt have any remotes. So i bought them and programmed them, but the unlock button doesnt work. im stumped.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

How do you go about programming the one you get off ebay? I may try that. But I will hold off on it to see if anyone else has any other solutions to this problem (especially since buying a new fob only worked in one instance but not the other).
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Taken from LS1.com -

Ok guys, here you go, if there are any problems or something doesn't work right let me know and I'll change it.

'94 Programming

1. Keyless entry receiver can be programed to receive Vehicle Access Code (VAC) from any 2 random transmitters. To program a keyless entry module receiver, connect a jumper wire between terminals "G" and "A". Receiver will cycle door lock actuators within 1-3 seconds to acknowledge that receiver is in program mode.

2. Press any button on transmitter once. In response , receiver will will cycle door lock actuators to acknowledge that the transmission has been received. Press any button of second transmitter once. In response , receiver will cycle door lock actuators to acknowledge a transmission has been received. Remove jumper from DLC and verify system operation using all transmitters.

A-Ground
B-Test Terminal
C-Air Injection (if Equipped)
D-Service Engine Soon Light (If Used)
E-Serial Data
F-TCC (If Used)
M-Serial Data (Some Models)

'95 Programming

1. Keyless entry receiver can be prorammed to receive Vehicle Access Code (VAC) from any 2 random transmitters. To program a keyless entry module receiver, connect a jumper wire between Data Link Connector (DLC) terminals No.4 and 8 (16-pin DLC) or terminals "A" and "G" (12-pin DLC). Receiver will cycle door lock actuators within 1-3 seconds to acknowledge that receiver is is program mode.

2. Press any button on transmitter once. In response , receiver will will cycle door lock actuators to acknowledge that the transmission has been received. Press any button of second transmitter once. In response , receiver will cycle door lock actuators to acknowledge a transmission has been received. Remove jumper from DLC and verify system operation using all transmitters.

2-Serial Data (Class 2)
4-Ground
5-Ground
6-Output/Field Service Enable
9-Serial Data
16-Battery Power

’96-‘00
Programming

1. Turn ignition off. Remove RADIO (fuse No.17) from fuse block. Cycle ignition switch from OFF to RUN positions 3 times within 5 seconds until door locks and hatch release cycles, indicating Body Control Module (BCM) is in programming mode. Leave ignition switch in RUN position.

2. Press both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote control door lock transmitter for 16seoncds. Door locks will cycle once, confirming transmitter code is programmed. Door locks must cycle completely to unlock before proceeding. Any transmitter code that was previously programmed has been erased. BCM is now programmed to remote control door lock transmitter.

3. When programming BCM to match remote control door lock transmitters, first transmitters code matched will be stored in memory unless a second remote control door lock transmitter is matched at the same time. If programming BCM to match a second remote control door lock transmitter, repeat step 2). This must be done before RADIO (fuse No. 17) is reinstalled. Turn ignition off. Reinstall RADIO (fuse No. 17) to fuse block.

NOTE: Always program both remote control door lock transmitters when replacing a lost or damaged transmitter.

I’m not sure if 96-’99 is customizable
’00 customizing

Entering Programming Mode:

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position to disarm content theft deterrent system.
2. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove RADIO (fuse No. 17) in instrument panel fuse block.
3. Turn ignition switch to ACC position.

Feature customization changes may now be made.

Exiting Programming Mode

To exit programming mode, turn ignition to OFF position and install RADIO fuse.

LAST DOOR CLOSED LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION:

1. Enter programming mode. See BCM PROGRAMMING MODE.
2. Press LOCK switch on door. Count number of chimes. Number of chimes is current mode vehicle is set for.
3. Press LOCK switch on door again until number chimes heard corresponds to desired mode See LAST DOOR CLOSED LCOKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION table.

LAST DOOR CLOSED LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION
Mode 1 - Both off
Mode 2 - Lockout Prevention Only (Doors will not lock with LOCK button with Key in Ignition)
Mode 3 - Last door closed locking only (with LOCK button, doors will not lock until all doors are closed)
Mode 4 - Both on

’01-’02 Programming

REMOTE TRANSMITTER

CAUTION: If vehicle is equipped with radio anti-theft feature (THEFTLOCK(R)), obtain secret code from customer. Disable THEFTLOCK(R) prior to disconnecting power to vehicle or removing RADIO fuse. See RADIO ANTI-THEFT FEATURE (THEFTLOCK(R)) DISABLING.

NOTE: Programming of remote transmitters cannot be done simultaneously. First remote transmitter must be programmed completely before programming next remote transmitter(s). A maximum of 4 remote transmitters may be programmed into Body Control Module (BCM) memory.

1. Turn ignition switch to RUN position to deactivate Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) alarm system (if equipped). Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove RADIO fuse No. 17 (15-amp) from instrument panel fuse block. RADIO fuse is located in lower right-hand corner of fuse block.

NOTE: While programming remote transmitters, wait for doors to unlock. Failure to do this, will cancel programming.

2. Cycle ignition switch from OFF to RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds, leaving ignition switch in RUN position. BCM will indicate programming sequence is active by activating hatch release, locking doors, then unlocking doors.
3. Press and hold both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote transmitter to be programmed for 15 seconds. Doors will lock and unlock, and hatch release will activate to verify remote transmitter has been recognized by BCM.
4. Repeat step 3 for remaining remote transmitters. After programming remote transmitter(s), reinstall RADIO fuse. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Enable THEFTLOCK(R) (if equipped). See RADIO ANTI-THEFT FEATURE (THEFTLOCK(R) UNLOCKING.

’01-’02 Customizing:

CUSTOMIZING CONTENT THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM

Turn ignition switch to RUN position to disarm system. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove RADIO fuse No. 17 (15-amp) from instrument panel fuse block. Instrument panel fuse block is located behind left side of instrument panel. See Fig. 6. Turn ignition switch to ACC position. Chime will sound, indicating programming mode has been entered.

One chime indicates exit lighting, delayed illumination, last door closed locking and lock-out prevention can be customized. Two chimes indicate remote lock control verification, arming method, arming verification, drivers’ door delay and shock sensor enable/disable can be customized.

EXIT LIGHTING AND DELAYED ILLUMINATION

Enter programming mode. See CUSTOMIZING CONTENT THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM. Turn courtesy lights on. Count number of chimes (mode number). Turn courtesy light switch off. Alternate courtesy light switch on and off until proper number of chimes is obtained. When vehicle is shipped from factory, Mode 4 is set as a default mode. Continue customizing or exit programming mode.

MODE 1

Both off (interior lights will turn on or off at same instant a door is opened or closed)

MODE 2

Delayed illumination only (interior lights will stay on for 25 seconds after doors are closed)

MODE 3

Exit lighting only (interior lights will come on whenever ignition key is removed)

MODE 4

Factory setting. Both on (combines Mode 2 and 3).

LAST DOOR CLOSED LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION

Enter programming mode. See CUSTOMIZING CONTENT THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM.
Press power door lock switch to LOCK position. Count number of chimes (mode number). Press power door lock switch to LOCK position until proper number chimes is obtained. When vehicle is shipped from factory, Mode 2 is set as a default mode. Continue customizing or exit programming mode.

MODE 1

Both off (doors will lock/unlock when power door lock switch is pressed)

MODE 2

Factory setting. Lock-out prevention only (with key in ignition and exiting out drivers’door).

MODE 3

Last door closed locking only (if power door lock switch is used to lock vehicle while any door is open, doors will not lock until after all doors are closed.

MODE 4

Both on (combines Mode 2 and 3).
Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

StangMan: Thanks a lot, I will give this a try. If I understand this correctly, under the 96-00 programming step I am to hold the lock and unlock buttons for 16sec simultaneously, correct? (that's similar to what I had found in my thread search but I didn't know to take out the fuse and to cycle the car from on to off 3 times). Will report back with results.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 92StangMan
Taken from LS1.com -

Ok guys, here you go, if there are any problems or something doesn't work right let me know and I'll change it.
Not bad but the 96-00 part is redundant. The same procedure and customization is used in all 96-02 f-bodies. Also, the 94 and 95 procedures are identical except for the pinouts.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adavypromos
Did a search and found a couple of things that I tried but that didn't solve the problem.

Basically, I have a 97 Trans Am. The remote locks the doors but will not unlock them. This is a huge PITA b/c I have to get in the car like I'm freaking Flash Gordon to make sure the alarm doesn't start going off.

I know it's not the battery, since the doors lock just fine. I also tried holding the lock and unlock buttons for 7 seconds, and that didn't help.

Any ideas or helpful insight is greatly appreciated.

Pm me bro we need to talk Its not bad dont worry.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Okay well I tried that and the lock button doesn't work now either. crap! any other ideas.

outlawz: I PMed you, the car wasn't purchased from me so I am sorry but I can't help you.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Any other ideas anyone, it won't even lock now. What the hell is going on?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Do the hatch release and panic buttons work? If not, you probably need to try programming again because the BCM isn't recognizing the remote. If you say "what hatch release button?" then you have the wrong remote.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Remote locks but won't unlock help.