Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

6x9s???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9s???

i have two 6x9s and was wondering if they would fit anywhere without any major modification.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Basically...No. All the speakers in your car are round - 6.5" in the doors and sail panels and 4" in the hatch area. Even if you modify the mounting to make 6x9s fit, you still have the problem of the different filtered signals to each set of speakers so you wouldn't get good sound.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And 6x9s also generally lack in sound quality
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ what i was going to say. circle is much superior to oval. not worth modifying. you could find descent coaxials like alpines on amazon for $40 a pair.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Launching!

This is going in a 4th gen right???? I've been told on another forum that 6x9s will fit in the back seat but I haven't tried it so I don't know.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

They will not. Not without an adaptor, anyway. They must completely seal the hole around them or the sound will be even worse than using 6x9s would make it to begin with.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Perhaps if you take a BFH to the 6x9 you could make the oval speaker fit a round hole.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

I'm planning on putting some 6x9s in my sail panels...I guess I will have to let you know how it goes. Was planning on just doing a little cutting a making an adapter so it seals well...

The ts-a6995's sounded way better then infinity kappa, and mb courts 6 inch speakers so I got them...They were LOUD and all the reveiws I've read said that they LOVED them...

I will let you know how it goes..
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many great 6.5" speakers and subwoofers available it is beyond me why people cut there cars up to fit 6x9" speakers in that location.
4x6's (dash) and 6x9's (sails) were in 3rd gen cars from the factory. To me it's like yanking out your LS1 and replacing it with the L98. Round speakers have superior sound quality to oval speakers. Cutting my car up to fit an inferior type of speaker is not something I would recommend. If you had no other options, that would be one thing, but with so many viable options in the correct size why hack up your car?
Just my opinion and opinions are like a$$holes....I know. I just hate to see people cut up a perfectly good car.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 02-03-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I heard a infinity kappa, mb courts, in the correct size, then heard the ts-a6995 pioneer 6x9 and it blew the other two out of the water, so i don't understand what makes it inferior..

I mean circle subs were all the rage forever, then the L7 came out and out banged all the circle speakers in their class..
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Do you want loud? Or do you want quality?

ALL 6x9 speakers are inferior to the EQUIVALENT round speakers for sound quality. Of course, you can always find 6x9 speakers that will outperform cheaper speakers or will be louder. That's one of the reasons they still sell them.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Launching!

I want loud, clear, crisp, with a lil bass
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I will say this though, sense I've been engaged in this disscusion I've thought twice about cutting. I might just make two small boxes and mount then to see how they sound..
Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
There are so many great 6.5" speakers and subwoofers available it is beyond me why people cut there cars up to fit 6x9" speakers in that location.
4x6's (dash) and 6x9's (sails) were in 3rd gen cars from the factory. To me it's like yanking out your LS1 and replacing it with the L98. Round speakers have superior sound quality to oval speakers. Cutting my car up to fit an inferior type of speaker is not something I would recommend. If you had no other options, that would be one thing, but with so many viable options in the correct size why hack up your car? I just hate to see people cut up a perfectly good car.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

would 6x9's in the hatch area put out a lil more bass? opinions on this before i 'customize' my hatch speaker panels
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ the sail panels are meant for bass. stock ones will out perform any mid speaker as for as bass goes. just keep the sails.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nemss1
would 6x9's in the hatch area put out a lil more bass? opinions on this before i 'customize' my hatch speaker panels
I put 6x9 (or maybe it is 6x8 don't remember exactly) in the rear hatch area. Only reason was I already had the speakers left over from my old car, and at the time all the speakers except 1 were blown out in my Camaro so it was worth modifying the hatch panels to hold them. With the stock grills on you can't even tell.

I've since replaced the rest of the speakers but now I need to do something about the dumb monsoon amp, front speakers are coax 4 ohm but the amp gives 2 ohm component so I either need to mod the speakers to connect the high range leads to it or ditch/bypass the stock monsoon amp. If I can come up with a cheap 4 ohm amp to run the sail panel subs then I'll just remove the stock amp altogether and run the speakers straight from the HU. It is 50W x4 and that is plenty loud for me.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I put 6x9 (or maybe it is 6x8 don't remember exactly) in the rear hatch area. Only reason was I already had the speakers left over from my old car, and at the time all the speakers except 1 were blown out in my Camaro so it was worth modifying the hatch panels to hold them. With the stock grills on you can't even tell.

I've since replaced the rest of the speakers but now I need to do something about the dumb monsoon amp, front speakers are coax 4 ohm but the amp gives 2 ohm component so I either need to mod the speakers to connect the high range leads to it or ditch/bypass the stock monsoon amp. If I can come up with a cheap 4 ohm amp to run the sail panel subs then I'll just remove the stock amp altogether and run the speakers straight from the HU. It is 50W x4 and that is plenty loud for me.
were your 6x8s more responsive on bass over the stocks? ya i removed the monsoon amp and wiring for weight and just wired my speakers directly to my pioneer premier HU. sounds really good other than not having as much bass. removed my sail subs as well. just running my fronts and hatch speakers
Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Keep in mind guys your not going to get good bass from the hatch because the hatch area is basically just a plastic panel that the speaker mounts to. This area is hardly a good mounting point to get good bass from any speaker. For good bass you generally need at least something that resembles an enclosure like your door or sail panel. While those areas are not sealed, they still offer some enclosed airspace volume. The rear hatch panels are not good for bass as they are not close to being any kind of an enclosed area and would bend and flex with any sort of real bass put to that area.
For decent bass response you have 2 choices, 1 is to use what GM gave you and upgrade the sail panel subs. Or you can get real bass from a stealth enclosure with a proper sub and amp combo. These are of course space saving options. If your going for big bass numbers then a larger sub/subs with more power would be in order but for moderate bass response the above 2 options work for most people with the best response being the stealth type enclosures and a single 10" sub. For most people that is plenty of bass and depending on components used can be good for +/-120db.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

thats what i figured seeing how some cars have 6x9s on the decklid and sealed by the trunk. thanx kee. going to keep the stock speaker sizes and not gonna waste my time and money on the ovals