Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Thoughts on Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on Remote Start

well my key fob crapped out on me last night and i was wondering if i should get a remote start
Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your car is a m6 alot of companies will not install one. i personally think it would be a cool gift to recieve but i wouldnt spend the extra cash for one
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

i would get one if i lived somewhere cold, but other than that i don't see a point to them
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been thinking about one for my car.. I live in Indiana so the weather gets bad.. But most of the time I dont have my car out in the bad weather.. Except for this year.. boo
Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

like someone stated earlier, if u got an m6, some ppl will not install them and it is a bit dangerous(car could be in gear when u turn it on). but if got an auto, then do it. i have it and love it, especially when it is cold outside. nothing better than warming up ur car without havin to go outside.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

I have seen some people use a combination of buttons on their GM key fob to do a special AUX action (for example if they hit 2 buttons together this guy's radio came on). Is there anyway this could be done, or I could get a good remote start without getting a new alarm system? I think some exist where you just add another little button to your key ring.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I have seen some people use a combination of buttons on their GM key fob to do a special AUX action (for example if they hit 2 buttons together this guy's radio came on). Is there anyway this could be done, or I could get a good remote start without getting a new alarm system? I think some exist where you just add another little button to your key ring.
my buddy used his sonata alarm to do a remote start. he would use the original keypad and press 2 buttons like u were sayin and it would turn on. there is a way of keepin the factory alarm and doin the remote start. but he got rid of it(it had alot of annoyin and dumb features) and just went ahead and got a viper alarm like mine with the remote start. ask ur local stereo shops around if they can do it, and maybe u can find one that does.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Remote Start is one of those things that once you've got it...you'll wonder how you ever lived without one! I've got RS on my car, and it's factory equipped with the all powerful T56! Just a little help from a relay and the proper clutch bypass wiring diagram...and you're in business!! Don't forget about bypassing your VATS system during remote start though.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
Remote Start is one of those things that once you've got it...you'll wonder how you ever lived without one!
unless you park your car in a garage.

imo with a m6 not worth risk of accidentally left in gear. you might get home late one night and forget or something. otherwise, it is nice. it would be cool if you just replaced the panic function button as a remote start.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

If you do this....make sure the shop knows what the hell they are doing!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Love mine too. It's great even to have the car running for one minute while you're walking out of the grocery store or something. Car is already blowing warm air on you when you sit down! Mine kept the factory alarm and works the door locks so I could ditch the OEM remote altogether.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

It's not dangerous at all in a 6-speed car if the owner isn't a twit. My stock switch went out not long after buying my car & I love the fact I can just reach in & start it real quick without having to get in, sit down & push the clutch in.

I never park my car in gear. Even on a hill I refuse to do it. If you park properly on a hill leaving it in gear isn't required. Your supposed to park close enough & turn your wheels so that if it starts to roll the vechicle will only go a couple inches before the curb & tire contact & stop the vechicle from moving.

In 4 yrs I have never had a single issue driving the way I do & parking the way I do. I just think people who do run into problem just flat out aren't payin attention when they get into their car or park their car. I'm getting a new alarm soon with remote start. Then either sumer or winter I can start my car from my office at work before leaving.

It's especially good to have if your motor is modified & you like to let it warm up some before the motor sees over 1k RPM's. I do this eveery day weather it's cold or not just to let the oil get warmed up especially if I'm only driving a short distance since it'll help burn off the extra condensation in the motor from sitting.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

ok i own an a4 so thats not a problem.
would there be a way that i could get this to where i dont need to put the key in?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, just bypass the VATS system. Your installer should be able to do it no problem if they are worth a damn. No remote start should require a key in the ignition.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Anybody ever think of doing some mag switches down with the shifter for an m6 car? I'm in the process of trying it and will have to take some pics and keep you guys updated.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Directed used to make a plate that slide over the shifter assembly to prevent remote starting while in gear. They botched that product after a lack of sales though. Other units have a smart start protocol. you would have to remote start the car before you exit the vehicle, that way it "remembers that it was in neutral the last time it was started. but that doesn't save you from someone else hoping in your car and "doing you a favor" by putting it in gear.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

People seem to be afraid that something terrible will happen with a remote start in a manual transmission car. There are urban legends and old wives tales about cars chasing little old ladies across parking lots before slamming into (fill in the blank here... wall, garage door, expensive other car, or whatever).

If your car has a properly adjusted parking brake and you use it all the time, you don't have to worry about accidentally trying to start while the car is in gear.

All quality remote start systems (such as DEI units) have some sort of protection circuit to prevent the system from continuing to crank a vehicle that resists starting. It can be an engine RPM monitor or a simple voltage monitor but the idea is to make the remote start give up if the car doesn't start within a certain amount of time. With a properly adjusted parking brake in use, the starter motor doesn't have anywhere near enough power to turn over the engine and move the weight of the car against the resistance of the parking brake. The car will just rock a little and then the remote starter will give up. Even a V8 engine doesn't have enough power at idle to overcome the parking brake - so that little starter motor doesn't have a chance. If you don't believe that, try it... start your car, engage the parking brake (assuming it is properly adjusted), and let up the clutch in first gear without giving it any gas. The car will rock forward an inch or two but then stall. The tires won't actually move - just the body will rock.

I have had remote starters in my last six vehicles - all of which had manual transmissions. There have been several times when I tried to start the car after mistakenly leaving it in gear. Not once did the car move other than shaking a little before the remote starter gave up.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
It's especially good to have if your motor is modified & you like to let it warm up some before the motor sees over 1k RPM's. I do this eveery day weather it's cold or not just to let the oil get warmed up especially if I'm only driving a short distance since it'll help burn off the extra condensation in the motor from sitting.
^+1

also helpful in the hot summers if you leave the AC on it will help cool the car down a little before you get to it and get cooked. i also have some relays hooked up so i can roll the windows down as i am walking to my car to let the rest of the scorching hot air out.

dont leave the MT in gear, always use the brake, and never use the RS if someone else drove the car last and you wont have a problem... ever.
i also used a mercury tip switch on my cars. if the car is left in gear when the RS kicks in, it will only move about 6 inches and the tip switch will kill the ignition completely

also FYI, best buy now carries RS units that are approved for and often installed on manual cars, new within the last 6 months.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Audiovox 997a is my choice/recomendation

This thing is great, I had it installed after my factory key fob for the camaro started having problems and range wasn't great to begin with.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Since you've got an A4 you've got virtually nothing to worry about. Just remember that if you park inside a closed parking garage, than try to remember that it's only going to fill up the garage with CO gas. Moral of the story...don't RS your car in doors.