Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

delete miles on dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delete miles on dash

how do i do this? i have a new motor. and what to set miles back?

thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Don't think you want to do that. You will probably have issues with the title to the car. I would just keep the receipt for the motor with the mileage and date on it, in case you sell the vehicle. I have seen titles with "not actual mileage" on them. Scares the crap out of a potential buyer.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blevinator
Don't think you want to do that. You will probably have issues with the title to the car. I would just keep the receipt for the motor with the mileage and date on it, in case you sell the vehicle. I have seen titles with "not actual mileage" on them. Scares the crap out of a potential buyer.
+1 because your car will still have those miles on everything else other than the motor.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Teching In

I believe in many states it is illegal to roll back or reset your odometer.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

just write down the miles and do the subtraction in your head.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, something isn't gonna add up when the buyer sees on the title how many miles you really have on it.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with the above. I usually don't think of "miles" when thinking motors anyway. Potential buyers will be more interested in the types of trips made with the car, driving habits, length of trips, etc than actual miles. If a car had 500 miles on it but they were all from passes at the strip Vs. 50,000 highway miles in 6th gear, 75mph...... stuff like that. Mileage IMO tells you a lot about the rest of the car usually, but not necessarily motor. (of course there are extremes to both cases)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

sorry but. **** future buys. dont mean to be dick about it. but didn't ask the lays or what the "future buys will think"

i don't plan to sell it. EVER.

so now back to, How do i do it? i know the miles i have now. and i under stand the car will have those miles one it. but will new front end. new motor. new trany. new rear end. new springs. new shocks. new just about everything but body(but that might be getting paint. car is new, well in my eyes.

so how do i do it?
thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
sorry but. **** future buys. dont mean to be dick about it. but didn't ask the lays or what the "future buys will think"

so now back to, How do i do it? i know the miles i have now. and i under stand the car will have those miles one it. but will new front end. new motor. new trany. new rear end. new springs. new shocks. new just about everything but body(but that might be getting paint. car is new, well in my eyes.

so how do i do it?
thanks
You dont plan on titling it correct? They verify the mileage during inspection.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Launching!

i think if you buy a new cluster but i think even then gm programs it with your miles
Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6

so how do i do it?
thanks
It is illegal no matter what the reason even if you don't sell. How do i know...one of my friends gets to spend a year in jail because he wanted to roll back his on a car that restored from the ground up. He didnt even "sell" it...he just wanted to put it in his wifes name instead of his.
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's illegal in any state to roll back mileage - no matter waht the reason. You can send it to a cluster repair place but you will need to fill out and sign documents as to the actual mileage which is where they'll set it. The last inspection or sale had a record, so the next inspection will raise a flag. Now if you want to buy a spare cluster, set the mileage back on it, then swap the original back in for inspections etc. you can do that I think. Just be aware it is a $10k fine for rolling back mileage.
TECH Fanatic

dont its highly illegal. car mileage has absolutely nothing to do with the engine itself. the engine isnt the only thing that will go bad
Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

i would try going to the dealership and telling them that you cracked your old cluster and fried the computer or something and bought a new one on ebay and wish to reset it to the correct miles, then have them program it with the mileage you want. not sure if that i will work but it is worth a shot.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

The dealership won't do it, doesn't matter if new engine or not, nobody will do it for you unless you do it yourself, it is super illegal, but yes it is possible to set back mileage.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Okay...I think we've made the point. Setting back the odometer for any reason is illegal and this thread is locked.