Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Problems

Hey everyone, I'm having a problem with my front passenger speaker. After listening to the radio for a while (not at full blast or anything like that) it starts to distort and whine.

The front speaker is a brand new jbl gto607 component speakers. I took it to the shop that installed these speakers and they said everything looked fine. What do you guys think? Thanks, Bret
Old 12-27-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You installed them without an amp? Do you have the Monsoon system?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

its only after a while? if you turn it off and back on it is fine again? sounds like radio, unless you have an amp then maybe that.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

It is hooked up to an alpine amp that powers the front components and two 6.5 subs in the sail panels. Thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know jack about stereo, but I'd think that the amp starts overheating causing signal degradation or bleeding.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Btw, I have the stock hu, alpine mrp-f300 amp, kicker 6.5" subs, and jbl gto607c components in the doors..

Originally Posted by Formula350
I don't know jack about stereo, but I'd think that the amp starts overheating causing signal degradation or bleeding.
What would cause this? Thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
its only after a while? if you turn it off and back on it is fine again? sounds like radio, unless you have an amp then maybe that.
I drove it this morning and it happened after about 15 minutes at moderate volume level. I had the volume high enough to hear it over the road/tire noise. I turned the radio off and there was a very high pitched whine.

I turned the radio back on and it still had the crackling and whining.

My next mod is definitely sound deadening the whole car.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Well for starters you bought a JBL speaker...that was your first mistake. Nah i'm just givin ya ****. Next time you listen to the stereo when it starts to distort, pop of the speaker cover and touch the dustcap on the speaker to see if it's hot...if it is thats more than likely where the distortion is coming from. If it's not try switching the left and right speakers to see if it stays on the passenger side or moves to the driver side. If it moves to the driver side then it's your speaker...if it stays on the passenger side then you've got a faulty connection or something.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

is the noise RPM specific??? if so this happened to my friend and they had to install a "filter" onto the wire(s) leading to the speaker.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

how did you mount the amp? if sideways, you can mount them upside down and the heat sinks wont work.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I've adjusted the balance and fade and it's definitely the r/f speaker (I'll know not to purchase JBL's next time!) The amp is mounted on the shelf behind the rear seats in between the two child seat anchors. The whine seems to get louder as the rpm's go up. I going to get the stereo warmed up enough tomorrow to drive by the shop and ask them wtf it is. Thanks again for all the input. Bret
Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

No, it's very likely not the speaker. First off, switch your front channels on the amp and see if the noise follows it or not.

Make sure your amp is securely grounded to a good spot. We recommend using the large bolts at either side of the seatbelts - I used the upper mount. Make sure to scrape some paint away.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonrage
No, it's very likely not the speaker. First off, switch your front channels on the amp and see if the noise follows it or not.

Make sure your amp is securely grounded to a good spot. We recommend using the large bolts at either side of the seatbelts - I used the upper mount. Make sure to scrape some paint away.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks-Bret