Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal problems HELP because my head is about to explodes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal problems HELP because my head is about to explodes!

So, I'll try to make this as simple in words, as possible, until I can get pictures. I own a 98 trans am and am rather tall, so one day when getting out of the car, my jammed the plastic cover on turn signal housing and broke it off and in the process a small, approximately two inches in length plastic control device fell out. As, near as I can tell from working the turn signal, this plactic piece is the device which controls the switch between Hi and Low beams on the turn signal lever. I'm hopin this paints a pretty good mental picture. Of all the pieces that can come of the housing their, they are all in good shape, I just don't know how to place that small plastic piece back into to the turn signal housing. Is it possible to do this without yanking off the steering wheel and following the procedures to fully replace the turn signal lever. Hopefully I'm not the only one to experience this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and good rides to those with the weather.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Meant to say "knee jammed" above.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Are you refering to the access cover circled below?

This cover just slides onto the back of the multifunction switch housing. Place it against the column as shown in the diagram and slide it up to the housing until it snaps in place. If it doesn't snap into position check that the tabs on the edges aren't broken.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Somewhat, the tabs on that broke so it doesn't lock in place. I got it to sit up in its place easily, but what happened now, is I kneeed it again, it popped off and allowed my knee to travel further and hit the signal wiper lever pretty hard, that caused, what the internet calls it, the dimmer actuator to fall out. I'm thinkin i know how to fix it, but i'm afraid i'm gonna have to disassemble the steering wheel and knee bolster just to see inside and put the piece back where it goes. Thanks for the post, as this proves i'm in the right direction. Any other thoughts let me know?