Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting in firebird trunk help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting in firebird trunk help!

Hey guys, you know that big bulge behind the rear passanger seats? Can i drill through that sheet metal to mount my amp without any problems??? also can i use that to screw in a ground??
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Restricted User

no, the gas tank is under that metal. What I've done in the past, is lift the carpet, use some liquid nail adheasive to glue a 3/4" thick board to the metal, replace the carpet, then mount the amps on that.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
no, the gas tank is under that metal. What I've done in the past, is lift the carpet, use some liquid nail adheasive to glue a 3/4" thick board to the metal, replace the carpet, then mount the amps on that.
good idea. bad idea to drill in to the gas tank.

where can i drill a ground in the back on the car?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Restricted User

I've use the wheel wells, and also the area under the jack for drilling a ground. Some folks use the rear seatbelt bolts.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
I've use the wheel wells, and also the area under the jack for drilling a ground. Some folks use the rear seatbelt bolts.
I used the rear seat belt bold on the drivers side.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

i just mounted one in my car, it was a little tedious but it worked fantastic, i took off the passenger side jack cover thing and well since my jack, spair, and monsoon amp are all well gone lol there was plenty of room in there, for now it's "rigged" till i can do a better job, but what i did was take 2 1X2's and i drilled 2 holes in each of them and mounted them to the inside it's kind of cramped when you are working in there but once it was done i was completely satisfied, i need to pretty it up a little bit tho. it worked good since i have my ground on that big bolt that holds the seatbelt in place, just gotta make sure you grind down to bare metal. that and all my amp adjustments are facing up so if i ever need to adjust anything it's a cinch, anyway i know that was kinda vague but if you need anymore info you can pm me and i can take some pix for you.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

this is what ive done. this is in the spare tire aera. there is some good area's in there for a ground. like said before just sand some of paint off where ever you mount the ground.