Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what speakers to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what speakers to get

what speakers will work best with the stock head unit? i went to circuit city and they said i would have to change everything if i didnt use the stock speakers. is this true? i keep blowing the speaker in the door out and its really pissing me off. thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought the polk component speakers they carry (off amazon for $100 a pair less). sound good with no mods to radio or amp. stock radio shouldnt blow any aftermarket speakers though. best buy/circuit city people are full of crap. i know many people to have worked at both and they read off packages. little training. now the rears are 4" so if u want 6.5s you'll have to custom fit but its possible, if thats what they were talking about.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You don't mention what kind of car (Camaro and Firebird have different speaker setups) or whether you have the Monsoon system.

In any case, it is not necessary to replace the system just to change the door speakers. In fact, there are aftermarket speakers compatible with all speaker positions in Monsoon equipped f-bodies if you know what to look for.

If you find that you are blowing factory speakers regularly then you need to look at more than just replacement speakers. Aftermarket replacement speakers will last longer than factory but will still die eventually because the factory head unit is a distortion machine (and distortion is the #1 cause of speaker death).
Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

sorry about that, i have a 98 trans am with the monsoon system. thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Firebirds are much easier to find replacement door speakers for than Camaros. Just about any 6.5" component speakers will work. There are several popular brands to choose from. I recommend that you listen to them before buying. For example, Infinity speakers are highly regarded by some but are far too bright for others (makes their ears bleed is a common comment). Alpine, Polk, and Pioneer all have their supporters. Personally, I'm really happy with the CDT components I got from Kee Audio (a sponsor here).
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a huge fan of Focals. I run 165 CA1's and 165 A1's on an Alpine amp. Imo they have better clarity than Polk or Alpine.