Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio's Double Din Mount Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kee Audio's Double Din Mount Adapter

Any one use one of these? http://www.keeaudio.com/id73.html Anyone know if this will work in a f-body?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, you can use it to mount a double DIN in an f-body but it's not as sturdy as metal brackets and you still need a custom bezel. I used this Metra kit originally but upgraded to metal brackets after a few weeks.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it the Metra 95-3302? Does anyone know if this works with 6LITEREATER's bezel?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should. It is basically the same bezel I used to make. The bezel goes in front of the mounts so I see no reason why it wouldn't.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ian -

When you made bezels did you recommend that people cut off the "tab" at the back of the factory tray?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcoers
Ian -

When you made bezels did you recommend that people cut off the "tab" at the back of the factory tray?
You have to remove the 'Tab" at the back in order for the double dinn unit itself to fit, it has nothing to do with the bezel. Maybe you mean install kit/sleeve? In which case, the kit/sleeve does nothing other than bolt into the side of the head unit, and into the factory retaining bolt locations in order to hold the unit to the car. The tab has nothing to do with anything other than, theoretically, securing the head unit in the back of the car. I personally have never seen one used. Im unsure if theyre used from the factory as all my fbods have had aftermarket stereos when i bought them. When i installed my double dinn, i just bought some aluminum L brackets and drilled hold where needed, and cut where i didnt need it. I removed the tab, and the bottom of the factory shelf. Its more sturdy now with the metal brackets than the factory head unit was on the "shelf". Im not an expert, just sharing my personal experience. Hope it helps
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. My main concern about the tab was that it didn't allow enough room for the head unit to fit all the way in. I wasn't thinking it would be a mounting point.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcoers
Thanks. My main concern about the tab was that it didn't allow enough room for the head unit to fit all the way in. I wasn't thinking it would be a mounting point.
I have had to remove the tab on every aftermarket radio I've installed in an F-body and several other vehicles that had the same type of "mount". It does get in the way and is easily removed generally. The F-body one is plastic and can be cut off fairly easily.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Ian! No wonder the bezel wouldn't fit over the HU!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I've used his mounting kit, and it works. Might not "look" secure but it never moves and fits perfectly. The only thing I have problems with is the number of wires in the back of my HU makes it difficult to stuff behind the stereo. But that's a pioneer issue...

Quick Reply: Kee Audio's Double Din Mount Adapter