Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power window problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window problem.

I would like to start by apologizing in advance if this is in the wrong section. I'm having a problem with my drivers side power window. At first it wouldnt go down. I bought a new switch and it went down but then wouldnt go back up. I followed the wires to the motor (blue and brown) and re-pinned them at the switch connector and the window went back up (using the -down- switch), but now wont go down. So the motor is good, the switch is good.
Im working on my 02 Monte Carlo, but its the same basic thing as my Camaro +1 additional wire. (for Illumination of the switch?)
Im kind of stuck due to my limited electrical knowledge. Does anyone know what would cause this or where I could find a wiring diagram for this car?

The wires are---
Yellow (I checked and it has power)
Black (ground?)
Blue (goes to DS window motor)
Brown (goes to DS window motor)
Light blue (?)
Light brown (?)
Light brown (another one, but smaller gauge wire)

Note: the illumination on the cluster/ climate control/ radio doesnt work either, im not sure if this is a related problem. Ive checked all the fuses.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like a bad motor. When the thermal cutoff switch in the motor starts going bad, one may get erratic behavior. Sometimes up, sometimes down.

The driver's side isn't controlled by the switch. The switch actually controls the express up module which is connected to the motor.