Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*

Ok Just like I promised, I will keep you guys up to date with upgrades. First of all, this is the beginning of what I call the "Camaro GT Street". I am going to add an all Sony system, with Rockford Fosgate accessories. Here is the list:

MEX-BT5700U (available this summer)

CDX-757MX (Taken from my old car, already have)

XS-LD106P5B (available soon)

XM-ZZR3301 (available soon)

XM-ZR704 (available soon)

XS-GTX1620S

XS-GTX1640

XS-W4021

XT-100HD

BitViper Antenna (oooohhhhh)
PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Controls
Custom F-Body Sub enclosure
Custom F-Body Amp Rack

The rest of the things I already have (Pretty much all of the accessories).

RF 1-Farad Capacitor
RF 4 Gauge dual amp kit
RF Capacitor wiring kit
RF 16ft twisted RCA cables
RF Battery sidepost terminal
Wiring harness
Mounting kit
Antenna adapter

Hopefully I can get everything started by the summer. I might even by a cheaper Sony stereo because I miss my CD changer. I will be posting pics when I get each mod done. BTW if you guys have nice audio setup, or have a question, just post it here.

Last edited by M-ManLA; 01-24-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some stuff
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why Sony? Since you are going all out you might we get the best for your money and I doubt you will be doing that by going with Sony.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Launching!

for two reasons: One, I am a Sony FREAK, second, the SNR is the best out of anything out there (120 dB). It produces a warm sound and I can balance the system very well. Alpine is good, but very overrated, and the sub (especially after testing the Type-Rs) needs too much power before they bump (Sony will has a Dual voice coil for $110 on the 10"), Infinity don't really have a head unit, RF Sub RMS Rating is under 200w, and Pioneer is not what they use to be. I also had a Sony system in my old car, without subs, but everyone could swear I had a 10 incher in it. They was clear just from the internal amplification, and they BUMP! The HOP woofers are very tough but light (I tried, you cant tear them with your bear hands), and are Ideal for what I am trying to achieve. And I am keeping one brand for my whole system. Besides, the head unit will have an external mic for my cell. You don't see too many head units with that.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like you know what you are doing, good luck with the system. Did you think about doing some sound deadening. I installed 2 rolls, 125 ft^2, of RaaMat and it was definitely worth it.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

dich those 4" speakers u can hardly notice that they are there, put in a 5x7 speaker there and why not get a better AB class amp and leave room for further upgrades.

Last edited by Engine_HP; 01-24-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ ditch the 4" but i'd put components in the back if you have the $$$.

sorry, but sony speakers really, really suck. at least mids/tweeters, never heard any subs from them. get yourself something better, those aren't much better than stock.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Teching In

sony speakers are terrible
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Launching!

sounds like a good build but like others have said sony speakers arent that great
Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont go sony please.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rofl sony
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like ur HU it looks bad ***, i have the older model, here are some pics: Show me ur aftermarket STEREO`s
Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro

sorry, but sony speakers really, really suck. at least mids/tweeters, never heard any subs from them. get yourself something better, those aren't much better than stock.
Actually, just remove the hatch speakers altogether and definitely don't put components back there. You want most or all of your sound coming from the front, if anything just put components in the front and midbass drivers in the sail panels, and a sub in the rear. I have a sub in the rear and I don't miss the sail panels or hatch speakers.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Actually, just remove the hatch speakers altogether and definitely don't put components back there. You want most or all of your sound coming from the front, if anything just put components in the front and midbass drivers in the sail panels, and a sub in the rear. I have a sub in the rear and I don't miss the sail panels or hatch speakers.
my last setup i had coxial speakers (2way speakers) in my sail it made more sound than i wanted, all the extra treb gave me headache, you only want a pair of tweeters in the front (should be enough), IMO get a one way speaker for the sail.

Last edited by Engine_HP; 01-24-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People still use CDs?

Last edited by shoemike; 01-24-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

The Sony deck is fine. Their decks are good. Ditch all the other Sony stuff. First thing to dump are the speakers, but their amps are almost as bad.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Launching!

agreed, remove the hatch speakers, they are useless and not needed.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Teching In

why Sony? Since you are going all out you might we get the best for your money and I doubt you will be doing that by going with Sony.

Originally Posted by dorifto83
sony speakers are terrible
Originally Posted by dilatedpeoples28
sounds like a good build but like others have said sony speakers arent that great
Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
dont go sony please.
Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Rofl sony
Originally Posted by dragonrage
The Sony deck is fine. Their decks are good. Ditch all the other Sony stuff. First thing to dump are the speakers, but their amps are almost as bad.

what they said sony=
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Guys may I mind you that I don't want to hear post like "ditch the Sony speakers" or anything like that. I had Sony's all around without any amps, and I made Sony fans out of people like you guys. I'm sure most of you guys never really owned a Sony set, nor took time to actually tune your system for a month (which is what you are suppose to do), Break in you sub for 20hrs (which most of you guys don't) and get a cap (which you are suppose to do too). If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Sonys HU has the best possible SNR @120 dBs, and is one of the best systems to date. Sony speakers are made with the same material as some of the others (Poly woofer, reinforced spider, etc). Actually a lot of the manufacturers make material for the others (JL makes Best Buys Insignia subs, and those don't suck). My old car had Sonys in it and in four years of pounding the mess out of them, they never broke, and everyone though I had subs in my car. Remember, don't knock them until you installed and tested them all, which I had, because I never say the other brands like Alpines sux. Please post those somewhere else.

sounds like you know what you are doing, good luck with the system. Did you think about doing some sound deadening. I installed 2 rolls, 125 ft^2, of RaaMat and it was definitely worth it.
Oh of coarse! I forgot to say that I will get a Dynamat kit (will edit this post in a min). I will get the door kit, and another kit to put around the sub, rear, and trunk speakers. Oh yea and I definitely know what I am doing. I have been working with installing home systems when I was 10 yrs old, and Started installing car audio systems when I was 18. I became a Sony guy when I got an old Sony Walkman CD player with AM/FM stereo with five presets when I was about 13. It was extremely clear! And with the G-Protection on it, and it never skip a beat! I made a lot of ppl Sony fans off of that player

Originally Posted by dilatedpeoples28
No. In fact they are very good as long as you get the hire models (like the ones they don't sell at Best Buy). People don't realize that every speaker has a different "sound" to it. So when I am with my clients, I never tell them "you MUST get a Sony speaker" or "you HAVE to get Alpines". What I tell them is to listen to them at a time and see which one you like. Then they will decide for themselves.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-28-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I'll pop in since I have already done this and give my $.02
  • Sony is garbage. There is a reason you can buy sony equipment in Wal-Mart (That is not a good thing)
  • I put components in every speaker location in my car. From my experience use only two tweeters up front. And contrary to what people say having speakers in the back, if tuned properly, helps fill in the sound nicely
  • Whatever you do make sure to mount the tweeters as high up as possible
  • You will most likely not need the capacitor. I was running my components through the stock monsoon amp and they were clear and crisp up until the point where I didn't want to turn it up anymore so I found no need to upgrade. I also had a 2000 watt amp powering two 12's. Along with my front projectors you would think you would have severe draw at stoplights. I saw minimal drop.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
dich those 4" speakers u can hardly notice that they are there, put in a 5x7 speaker there and why not get a better AB class amp and leave room for further upgrades.
I really want to put some 6x9's so I can set the amp to put some midbass on those speakers. I will depend if I feel like it though. I will check the 5x7 though. Thanks for they advice. And as for upgrades, I'm not trying to wait two years like my last car. I am buying most of the stuff from eBay, which my remaining total wont even be 1 Grand. THANK GOD FOR EBAY!!!

i like ur HU it looks bad ***, i have the older model, here are some pics: Show me ur aftermarket STEREO`s
THANKS! OH Look, another guy in a Camaro with a SONY HU! Yea that one is good, but I like the 3 pairs of pre's. On my mom old car had the unit w/o the BT.

No components in the rear. It is stupid to do realizing that most car receivers output more bass on the rears than in the front. Also think, will I put another center channel speaker on my home theater system to hear the dialog from the back as well?

eeehh. I thought about it. But I think I still will because If I am showing off my system, there can be a little voice coming from those speakers, or if I am just chilling cleaning my trunk when washing my car. And yea, I know not to put components in the rear. Trust me, I have wired a Hole Recording studio, and I am about to do a surround room, and have taken three years on recording and sound. I think I know a little bit about it.

my last setup i had coxial speakers (2way speakers) in my sail it made more sound than i wanted, all the extra treb gave me headache, you only want a pair of tweeters in the front (should be enough), IMO get a one way speaker for the sail.
Yea. You don't need any components in the rear. When those frequencies hit and mix up, they will be out of "phase", causing you to feel weird. There was this one guy that had done that in his truck at my first job, and it was giving me a headache. That was TOO much treble lol.

Originally Posted by shoemike
People still use CDs?
Yes. CD's sound better than MP3 players, simply since they are more compress than the CD's. CD also have a better bottom end, so for audiophiles (like me), will choose CD's, because the bass will hit harder with less distortion, and won't cut out the "info" needed for those low bass notes and 808 Kicks (which is extremely hard to replicate the sound on a MP3 if you are compressing music). Unless I can have my music uncompress, or at a higher sampling rate, then I won't use it, though I would be streaming music from my phone as well, just in case you didn't read the bottom at my Post, where I said I can stream from Bluetooth. And No I will not get an Ipod, I'll rather get a Zune or Zen, OR THE NEW SONY digital players instead because of better sound quality.

PLEASE read this message guys.

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
Guys may I mind you that I don't want to hear post like "ditch the Sony speakers" or anything like that. I had Sony's all around without any amps, and I made Sony fans out of people like you guys. I'm sure most of you guys never really owned a Sony set, nor took time to actually tune your system for a month (which is what you are suppose to do), Break in you sub for 20hrs (which most of you guys don't) and get a cap (which you are suppose to do too). If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Sonys HU has the best possible SNR @120 dBs, and is one of the best systems to date. Sony speakers are made with the same material as some of the others (Poly woofer, reinforced spider, etc). Actually a lot of the manufacturers make material for the others (JL makes Best Buys Insignia subs, and those don't suck). My old car had Sonys in it and in four years of pounding the mess out of them, they never broke, and everyone though I had subs in my car. Remember, don't knock them until you installed and tested them all, which I had, because I never say the other brands like Alpines sux. Please post those somewhere else.
Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
I'll pop in since I have already done this and give my $.02
  • Sony is garbage. There is a reason you can buy sony equipment in Wal-Mart (That is not a good thing)
  • I put components in every speaker location in my car. From my experience use only two tweeters up front. And contrary to what people say having speakers in the back, if tuned properly, helps fill in the sound nicely
  • Whatever you do make sure to mount the tweeters as high up as possible
  • You will most likely not need the capacitor. I was running my components through the stock monsoon amp and they were clear and crisp up until the point where I didn't want to turn it up anymore so I found no need to upgrade. I also had a 2000 watt amp powering two 12's. Along with my front projectors you would think you would have severe draw at stoplights. I saw minimal drop.
Last time I will say this. NO POSTING THAT THIS SYSTEM SUX!!! I don't like Wal-Mart whatsoever, but I still shop there because they have things I want. That is just like saying "if you buy the Axe deodorant spray from Wal-Mart, it sux" or "if I buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 from there, it sux (Ok maybe the 360 because of the RROD)". If you actually OWNED a Sony system, TUNED up the Sony system, or hell, EVER INSTALLED A CAR SYSTEM, then I will allow you to talk, otherwise, STFU and don't talk about that. Do that in another post PLEASE! Check reviews from most users like on Crutchfield and other sites. Sony makes good products, especially the higher-end Xplod systems. I don't say Apline Sux (Which the Type-R subs DO sux, YES I SAID IT!). Different speakers and components have different sounds, and they are up to the consumer to decide what he likes the best. If you don't like the sounds of the Sony or Pioneer speakers (which sounds the same), then get the Infinity's that is crispier on sound. Don't like those, then get the Alpine's which focuses on the higher frequencies. So no more "THIS SUX POST", because I will never say that on any aftermarket system! I stand behind my decision to get Sonys 200%, and I will expect that from you if you bought another system that was not Sonys.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-28-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts

Quick Reply: Planned Car Stereo Upgrades! *Camaro GT Street*