Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio wont turn off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio wont turn off...

okay, when i turn my car off and get outside and lock it my radio is still on. It will stay on for a good 10-15 mins then go off. But i figured out today when i had a passenger when she opened her door it turned it off! wtf. Is there a sensor in the doors? It wont do it for my door though!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Do the interior lights or anything else also stay on? If so, the its the probably a door switch. Since the radio turns off when the passenger door is opened, then the fault is probably the driver door switch. The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit keeps power to the radio and other accessories until a door is opened. If opening the door doesn't turn off the radio, then the door switch has failed. After 10/15min the battery saver feature kicks in and cuts power. Unfortunately, the door switch is built into the latch. I don't know how to get to it (never tried). Sometimes its not an outright failure, but the switch needs to be cleaned or adjusted.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the interior lights go off, just the radio stays on. I figured there had to be some sort of switch that kicked it off. Thanks for all your help i'll look into it.