Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problems with amp and speaker install. Please Help

Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with amp and speaker install. Please Help

Had a 4000ub Pioneer HU, 2 Component, 2 Coaxial, 2 4" coax(rear), 2 amps (4 and 2 Ch.) and 2 10" subs installed in my car just yesterday. On my way home, I noticed a short/spark type of noise every time I hit the brakes or the turn signals. Took it back to the installer and just called me and said that he already re routed and grounded my system and it still makes that noise. He swapped out the HU and it still made the noise. He says it's the one of the amps. Does that sound right?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

well the installer took out the amp that he suspected was the problem to get it bench tested. Took it to the place where I bought it and came out fine. They still replaced it with another one. Took it back to the installer and it did the same exact popping noise. The installer is out of options and is going to tear down everything and redo it. This is driving me insane. Any opinions on what it could be?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many things it could be from something as simple as a bad RCA cable. Since you've checked the amps I would actually check those as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

don't forget to double check and make sure your installer didn't run your after-market amp wiring through the factory monsoon amp. There could be some feed-back causing your popping issue.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
There are many things it could be from something as simple as a bad RCA cable. Since you've checked the amps I would actually check those as well.

thanks for the response, and yeah they put new ones in. Took it back yesterday and this time had two installers redo and recheck everything, at least that's what they told me. Got a call back late in the afternoon to tell me that it's my car's electrical system that's causing that popping noise. He said they can mask the problem with 4 line output converters(4ch). They guaranteed me they would work. I've already spent so much on the complete system and installation I'm starting to debate whether I should leave it as it is.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
don't forget to double check and make sure your installer didn't run your after-market amp wiring through the factory monsoon amp. There could be some feed-back causing your popping issue.
that's the first thing I asked, but according to them, they bypassed it. Would I be able to visually see if they did that or not?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

If they did that for the system you should see aftermarket wire running to the speakers. Fastest place to check would be the hatch speakers if they were going to the new amp. If not then I'd check the sail panels as they can be checked without having to remove the whole panel, just go through the grills and remove the sail panel speaker. There should be new wires going to them if they bypassed the stock system.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Welcome back Ian! Haven't seen you around here for a while. Hope your back is doing better!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Thanks!! I am getting better! Going through physical therapy right now but I feel tons better then I did!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
If they did that for the system you should see aftermarket wire running to the speakers. Fastest place to check would be the hatch speakers if they were going to the new amp. If not then I'd check the sail panels as they can be checked without having to remove the whole panel, just go through the grills and remove the sail panel speaker. There should be new wires going to them if they bypassed the stock system.

yea I just checked, looks like they did bypass it. Guess I have no choice but to take it to an electrician
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

no one mentioned a bad ground maybe?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transambandit
no one mentioned a bad ground maybe?
I agree. If they put the ground where there already was a ground(ie: factory harness, or any power'd items locks, windows) then it will pop. Also if they ground the amp to the battery this is a big NO NO. I've seen it done! IMO RCA's wont effect it only if they have a short. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong its been quite awhile since installing subs.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Can you see how the amp(s) were grounded? factory bolt, screwed into the car; if so, was the paint scraped away?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
Can you see how the amp(s) were grounded? factory bolt, screwed into the car; if so, was the paint scraped away?

where can I see that. Do you mean upfront where the battery is at, cause it looks like he made a ground with the fender next to the battery. I'll post pics tomorrow and hopefully you guys can see if it's set up correctly or not. Long shot but I've got no options other than to go see an electrician. THanks
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frodo T. Baggins
where can I see that. Do you mean upfront where the battery is at, cause it looks like he made a ground with the fender next to the battery. I'll post pics tomorrow and hopefully you guys can see if it's set up correctly or not. Long shot but I've got no options other than to go see an electrician. THanks
The ground shouldnt be that far, should be less than 6 feet. If you look at the amp there should be a ground input and a larger black wire going to it, probably an 8 ga wire. Follow it to where it is grounded.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seeing as its a pioneer radio i would HIGHLY recommend trying this
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40067
this is far more common then it should be and it really is showing pioneer build quality going down the drain
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

sorry, meant the amps ground wire. just follow the ground wire from the amp to the end of the wire itself.

Search this Thread