Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power seats/Defog circuit breaker keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power seats/Defog circuit breaker keeps blowing

DISCLAIMER **I am an electrical n00b**

So I noticed that my power seats and rear defog don't work anymore. Sure enough they are on the same circuit breaker.

I head to autozone and picked up a new 30amp/12v circuit breaker, replace it and still no power to the seats or defog. When I went to remove the new circuit breaker I had just put in, it was FU&^*%$ HOT adn now I have nice blisters on my fingertips =)

A little history now, I was deployed for 6 months and my buddy was watching the car for me. He would drive it occasionally just to keep everything fresh. Well he went out one day and couldn't start the car. Got a buddy to jump it and it worked just fine. He went to WalMart for a new battery (i know...) and installed it. Car started up fine for about another week. Then it won't start again. So it has been sitting for a few weeks, but today I drive over to an auto store and pick up a Optima Red Top. Install that and the car starts right up. I drive the car over to the AutoZone and have them test the battery and alternator. They say it is all reading just fine. Been running errands all day, turning car off and on, each time it starts right up.

So....maybe my buddy just got a shitty battery from WalMart, or do you think my circuit breaker problem is related to the dieing batteries? I am going to be heading out to the car every so often to check if it is still starting tonight.

What is my next step to resolving this issue? Straight to the stealership if te battery keeps dieing on me? I appreciate any advice!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try pulling that breaker out and see if it resolves ur dead battery issue, odds are there is a short in that circuit
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that. There was no way I was gonna keep it in, I was afraid something would melt or catch fire. =)

So if the circuit is bad, whats the next step? Sure sounds like a dealership problem...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or get a wiring diagram and trace it out or go to a compotent mechanic, i wouldnt be going to the dealership unless u enjoy getting bent over