Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lowering hvac

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering hvac

Hey. Im looking at installing a carputer over the summer. I wanted to use a 8.4" widescreen that has a view area of 178Lx108H mm (about 7 x 4 1/4") and an actual dimension (part around screen that cant be taken off) of 189Lx120H mm (bout 7 1/2 x 4 3/4"). Want it over the 7" because it for some reason is like $50 cheaper and also just because its bigger.

To make it fit well, it looks like i might have to lower the hvac controls a bit and shrink the lowest part of the bezel. Has anyone done this or not for any reason? Thanks.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 03-05-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall someone doing it in the Camaro/Firebird thread over on MP3CAR, but I dont think you would get enough room out of it for a 8.4 - could be wrong though I am looking at doing this over the summer also with a 7"
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ yeah i skimmed through that thread but its like 40 pages long and mostly about sub setups . you might be thinking of the post i made at the end asking about it where the guy didnt think it would be possible without lowering the hvac. if not ill have to reread it.

also on a side note i think i remember reading the dimensions of the 7" lilliput taken apart is bigger than the dynamix 7". so since i plan on getting a dynamix it might fit since the guy that said fitting a 7" is tough most likely had a lilly.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

easier just to relocate the hvac controls to the glove box or center console, i made a pretty good bezel for my t/a with an 8.4" screen. Heres some pics of it.

Basically what i did was i cut out the center piece of the stock radio bezel, epoxied it to the bottom to make it thicker, then i trimmed down the inside of it so the bezel of the LCD screen fit into it. Epoxied it into place then used plastic putty to fill in any gaps, then you sand it down smooth, what i initially did was too paint it flat black but i intended to wrap it in leather but now i am upgrading to a 10.4" screen. So i will be spending my time doing that instead of finishing up my 8". Maybe when the 10" is done i will finish up the 8.4" and sell it.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering hvac-bezel4.jpg   Lowering hvac-bezel6.jpg   Lowering hvac-bezel7.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ cool. i dont want to move the hvac to an inconvenient place though. and i dont think ill need it that big lol.

but from those pics it does look like the screen itself would fit. this is what it looks like bare, at least the provision/dynamix one.

If i made the top thinner than yours i really think it will fit now. Will probably end up going for it. Thanks for the pics.

Search this Thread