Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lighting issues

Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting issues

I put LEDs in my front turn signals and... problems. My 4-ways work fine. The marker lights come on when I hit the switch. What doesn't happen is that the turn signal function doesn't work for either side. I don't see how LEDs would cause this since I have no issue with my tail lights. I switched the bulbs around to make sure the polarity is correct and all seems kosher, I just have no stalk-operated turn signal function. Am I looking at some kind of wiring or relay problem?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need an electronic flasher. The LED's don't use enough current for the normal thermal flasher to detect, hence the reason why the don't flash. Looks like this:

Only about $8 from an auto parts store. The one most auto parts stores carry is made by Tridon, part number EL-12, just like on the picture.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Launching!

The only thing I can think of is you didnt get a dual circuit LED bulb. I think the 3157 style is the dual circuit while the 3156 is the single. Just think of it like an actual bulb that has dual filaments. Have you tried putting regular bulbs back in to see if they work?

EDIT: Or what he said too lol
Old 03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Teching In

My tail light bulbs are 3157. My front turn signals are 1157, so I'm not sure what that entails. They come on and work with the 4-ways. I had the sockets pulled out when I was installing the LED bulbs and they work on both high and low function. I made sure they were turned around in the correct polarity position. The only function not working is the turn signals when I flick my stalk on the steering column. One person I spoke to suggested I splice a resistor between the ground and flasher wire because LEDs use so little power that the system isn't fully recognizing them. He said he had to do that with his LED SS spoiler, so I guess it's worth a shot. I'll try replacing the in-dash flashers, too. Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else based on my updated input would be great, too.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Two things:

1.) The Front Turn signals are 3157

2.) When you install LEDs in the turn signals (front or rear) you need to replace the stock Thermal Flasher with an Electronic Flasher (ex: Tridon EL-12) or the turn signals will not flash properly.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Noted. I was in a parts store today looking and bulbs and flashers and apparently, I was mistaken. 3157 are the wedge style bulbs in the 98+ F-bodies. The bulbs I have in my tail lights are 1157 round metal terminals, and the same number works for the front, but anyway. I'm going to get new flashers splice some resistors in and see what happens. Thanks all
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Nifelheim
I'm going to get new flashers splice some resistors in and see what happens
Skip the resistors. They are not needed if you use the Electronic Flashers.

Search this Thread