Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signals acting VERY strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals acting VERY strange

About two weeks ago I replaced both front turn signals bulbs because they were out. Everything worked perfect ever since. Two days ago I flip my turn signal and the indicator comes on and won't blink it just will start to dim and then go out....this is also what my turn signals are doing. It almost seems that there is a bad ground or something. Any ideas guys??
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Time to change your blinker fluid. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6.

Also, check that the front sockets aren't melted or corroded. That could cause the symptoms you describe.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Time to change your blinker fluid. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6.

Also, check that the front sockets aren't melted or corroded. That could cause the symptoms you describe.
That's the first thing I thought of but I can't ever seem to find the reservoir....

When I changed the two front bulbs, of course they burned but not corroded. I use the electronic "jelly", can't remember the name....in order to prevent this and create a good connection...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

The flasher unit may be going bad
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, if both sides are doing the same thing then it is quite possible the flasher is causing the problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Yes, if both sides are doing the same thing then it is quite possible the flasher is causing the problem.
Well don't you think if the flasher was going bad they just wouldn't work at all?? Well regardless........where is the flasher located??
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The flasher is clipped to the back side of the dash panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column. It is a thermal/mechanical device somewhat like a household thermostat so a failure doesn't always mean no function - sometimes the failure will be intermittent.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Launching!

The flasher is clipped to the back side of the dash panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column. It is a thermal/mechanical device somewhat like a household thermostat so a failure doesn't always mean no function - sometimes the failure will be intermittent.
Sounds like your very familiar with electronics/wiring. I have looked for a flasher before on a friends firebird and couldn't ever find the damn thing.....sorry to sound like a complete noobie here but what does it look like? Does it look like the old school type? Just a small cube??
Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The flasher is a cylinder about 1" in diameter and a little over 1" tall. Here is a diagram of its location (item #1):
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Man, you are my mother flippin hero. NO ONE has ever been able to come up with a diagram of where this thing is.....GM even had problems telling me where it was. Thanks a million.