Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

beating a dead horse question: theftlock---sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beating a dead horse question: theftlock---sorry!

What year did they switch or how can you tell if a radio is Theftlock I or Theftlock II? Im betting all 1.5 DIN are Theftlock I and then they switched when they went to double DIN but thats a just a hunch and I wanted to make sure before I bought one online.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I've never heard of Theftlock I & II (there's PassKey I, II, and III - versions of the VATS system). The Theftlock in 1.5 DIN head units is based on a customer selected and entered lock code of four digits. Newer double DIN factory units have a security system (I didn't think it was called Theftlock) that has internal circuitry that checks the serial number against Class 2 data it receives from the PCM - no customer interaction is necessary.

If you are looking to buy a factory 1.5 DIN head unit then you don't have to worry about it having anything more complex than what's described in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, thanks. Yeah I was refering to the vin coding and what I had read called that Theftlock II but he thought it was a year model thing. Anyways Im all cleared up now, thanks again.