Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bose and Monsoon working together?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose and Monsoon working together?

Ok, so I have a Bose amp from a 96 Camaro. I just picked up a 97 T/A, and the Monsoon system leaves a lot to be desired. Already read the sticky. I have an aftermarket head unit already, and that definitely helped, but bass suffers.

Now, I understand how both systems work. The Bose amp takes its on/off signal off the H/U from a single wire, and it runs the 2 bass speakers in the rear seat area (which I think are the same for all systems). The Monsoon amp takes both the + and - output wires from the H/U and sends them both to the base and rear mids.

So what I want to do is take the rear seat bass speakers away from the Monsoon amp and run them off the Bose amp, just like in the Camaro, and let the Monsoon amp run everything else like normal. Then I can use both amp outputs from the H/U.

Now my question is, does this sound like a good theory? Anyone tried this or something similar? Will the H/U even put out enough power to both amps for decent sound, or am I just spinning my wheels? It's a Sony CDX-GT4200.

Any input is helpful. I only ask this because I already have the Bose amp, and no reason to spend more money if I can help it. I have no problem wiring stuff up myself. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, the F-body Bose and Monsoon systems are very different - head unit, amp, and speakers are not at all similar.

The Monsoon "system" is really just an amp and specific speakers added to an ordinary Delco head unit - the same as in your grandfather's Oldsmobile. The amp takes speaker level input and boosts it for the low impedance speakers.

The Bose system consists of a system-specific head unit that outputs high-impedance, low-level signal (basically a headphone signal) to individual amps attached to each speaker.

There are adapters that will allow you to connect a Bose head unit to an aftermarket system but mixing Bose and non-Bose in a single system isn't advisable and may not even be possible.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

But I'm not using a stock H/U, I have an aftermarket one already, and I've already installed it in both cars and it works with both systems.

I know the front 2 door speakers in the Bose system have individual amps, but I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about the rear bass speakers only, and those are run by the big Bose amp. http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg

I am talking about taking bass away from the Monsoon amp and giving it to Bose. The H/U should be able to run both, since they have different signal outputs from the H/U.

I am pretty sure if I wire it right, it is possible. The only doubt I have is if the H/U can put out enough power for both amps for this to be doable.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother. I have a non stock HU, and hooked it's rear speaker outs to some 6x9's I put in the rear - MUCH better and stronger sound than anything the bose or monsoon amps/speakers could put out, ever.

Seriously. Get better speakers, as you can afford them, and use your HU's speaker outs until you can afford a real amp.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by acslam
Don't bother. I have a non stock HU, and hooked it's rear speaker outs to some 6x9's I put in the rear - MUCH better and stronger sound than anything the bose or monsoon amps/speakers could put out, ever.

Seriously. Get better speakers, as you can afford them, and use your HU's speaker outs until you can afford a real amp.
Oh yea, I totally understand that aftermarket stuff will sound the best. Now I'm not into that heavy bass that shakes the car, and I just felt like the Bose system gave it that perfect balance that I like, which is why I was thinking about doing this.

For the 6x9's that you bought, did you just run RCA cable from the H/U straight to the speakers? Or through an amp? Where did you put them, in the hatch area where the rear mids/tweeters sit?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

I just hacked giant holes in the hatch area to put the 6x9s. Sounds awesome, looks ghetto because I didn't plan it right. I used the factory speaker wiring - the blue colored connections at the 4 corners are tied directly to the head unit while the black connections are for the factory amp. The problem is that the factory amps sound is EXTREMELY distorted and honestly not powerful at all when compared to even a mid level aftermarket head unit. The head unit is truly going to put out just about as much clean, usable power as either the bose or monsoon systems would, which is why I suggest totally foregoing the amps and instead using the direct lines from the head unit itself. Right now I'm using a pioneer HU to power the 4 corners of my car, and leaving the factory subs in place powered by the factory amp. It sounds FAR nicer than stock and is generally less complex than the factory system.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

I should add that ultimately my plan calls for 2 amps plus new subs, but this is my intermediate, aftermarket speakers at the 4 corners powered by an aftermarket HU. Still a big improvement over stock, even taking into account that the stock system has an amp in it.

Search this Thread