Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Did I just fry my Monsoon HU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just fry my Monsoon HU?

My display light has been out, so I tried to fix it this weekend. I took the faceplate off and hit all the cold solder joints as per the write up found here. When that didn't work, I pulled it back out to get a look at the bulb itself. It looked kinda burned up and nasty, so I ordered a new one.... but it the proccess I busted the old bulb and the socket for it. I had no choice but to put it back in with no bulb in the socket.
Now the good part....
When I was connecting the ribbon cable, it must have been resting against something metal (or something else that it did not agree with) cuz I got a quick whiff of smoke. I yanked it back off of there real quick and let everything cool for a while and then I put it all back together.
Well, what I have now is a flickering Theftlock light and the volume acts kinda weird. The volume will spike up every now and then, and jump from left to right.
I'm hoping that it's all due to the "open" I created by not having the bulb socket in there. And that when it gets replaced, this all goes away.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, good news bad news, sorta....

Bad news is the new bulb didn't fix it. I guess i'll have to look at those solder conections again.

But the real good news is when I was inspecting the face plate, I noticed that two of the pins were bent on the bottom of the face plate. I must not have had it lined up properly the last time I reattached it. So I straightened out the pins and made damn sure they all lined up, and carefully put the faceplate back on. Now it works like a champ again.

Except for the friggin display.........