Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fog Light Switch/Harness for Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fog Light Switch/Harness for Power Antenna

I'm trying to figure this one out...based on what I've found, here's what I understand of the pins on the back of the fog light switch:

F_E_D
A_B_C

I think what I want to do is this:

Antenna Signal FROM Radio to E
Antenna Signal to Antenna to F

That should get the antenna to go up and down as it currently does with a regular toggle switch. What I'm not sure how to do is get the LED to be on only when the radio is on and the antenna is up. At all other times, I don't want the LED on. I have an aftermarket head unit, so the stock harness has obviously been spliced into to make the aftermarket HU work (and is where I got the signal for the power antenna to begin with).

So, in summary, how do I wire the fog light switch to operate the antenna, and have the indicator LED only turn on when the radio is on and the antenna is up (the head lights don't have to be on)?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I'll assume that this is a Camaro fog light switch - Firebird switches are different internally.

A - ground (for ON indicator lamp)
B - ground (for switch illumination)
C - power from dash lights (for switch illumination - from gray wire at other foglight switch or behind radio )
D - not used
E - 12V RAP controlled power (from yellow wire at radio OR from antenna control wire at radio)
F - antenna control wire out to antenna

Using these connections, the antenna will go up and stay up with the switch on and the ON indicator lamp will light as well. When the switch is turned off or the radio goes off the antenna will lower and the ON indicator will go off. And the switch will light up with the dash lights.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yes - this is for a Camaro fog light switch.

I, however, do NOT want the switch to light up with the dash lights. Is that even possible? Basically, I want the power source for the internal LED to come from the radio being on...

Also, what is the difference between the ON indicator lamp and switch illumination grounds (A & B)? I've never quite understood.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The switch has two separate forms of illumination - the ON indicator light and the nighttime switch illumination. The connections I listed keeps them separate. The ON indicator light will only come on when the antenna is up and it will go off when the antenna is lowered. The nighttime illumination will light up the switch itself whenever the headlights or parking lights are on. This is exactly the same way your existing foglight switch works - the switch will light up whenever the headlights are on (so that you can see it at night) but the ON indicator only lights when the foglights are on.

If you don't want the switch to light up at night (although I can't imagine why not), just don't connect the dash light power to terminal C.

The two grounds (terminals A and B) provide ground for two separate light circuits within the switch - one for the ON indicator and the other for the switch illumination. They can both be grounded to the same place - a ground is a ground and it makes no difference if more than one circuit shares a ground point.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That's where I was getting mixed up...I didn't realize the switch itself lit up (shows you how much I really pay attention) - I thought it was only the indicator light.