Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs not working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subs not working...

The factory monsoon subs on my car aren't working at all for some reason. I've already checked the connections at the subs, and they seem to be ok. They work every once in a while, but they're down most of the time. Anyone have any advice on what else to check so I can fix this?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone? They're aren't blown either.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Are you talking about the sail panel speakers in the back seat area? If so, mine do not work either. Its been like that since I got my car 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

First, how do you know there not blown? When they intermidently turn on do they play normaly? Is it both at one time or one than the other?

Have you recently done anything behind the stereo or in the rear right fender well... i.e. new radio, spare tire, mess with the factory alarm...

If it's both at once, I would say those channels on the amp might be going bad. Also, it could be something as easy as the fader control on the radio, have you checked that?

If it's one at a time, and a new stereo was recently added. Check the connections behind the radio.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZmaro
First, how do you know there not blown? When they intermidently turn on do they play normaly? Is it both at one time or one than the other?
They don't sound blown when they play. Yes, they play normally when they decide they want to. It's both at once.

Have you recently done anything behind the stereo or in the rear right fender well... i.e. new radio, spare tire, mess with the factory alarm...
Haven't messed with the stereo recently.

If it's both at once, I would say those channels on the amp might be going bad. Also, it could be something as easy as the fader control on the radio, have you checked that?

If it's one at a time, and a new stereo was recently added. Check the connections behind the radio.
The gain is a little less than halfway, I've already tried turning it up all the way (come on, give me a little more credit than that). It's also the factory monsoon head unit. How would I check to see if the channels on the amp are going bad?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Update: I ended up figuring out what the problem was. I started messing around with the subs and it turns out the sub would work when I moved around the wire that is soldered to the underside of the sub cone. So, I resoldered the wire to the terminal and it has been working fine all day (hadn't done that in a long time). I'm not exactly sure why a bad connection on one sub would make them both go out intermittently like that, but I'm glad the issue is solved. I'll try to take a pic of what I'm talking about later. Hope this helps someone out in the future.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry about the lack of credit, but you never know......lol!

I am glad you found the problem. As for both speakers going out at once, was the saulder joint touching the metal of the speaker or metal body of the car? If so, they were "grounding out" causing the signal from that part of the amp not to play. Typically that would silence ALL of the speakers but I suppose each case is different. Congradulations!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help, though! The soldered part was not touching ground on either speaker. I tested them after removing them from the sail panel area. They would stop working when one of the wires would get to a certain position (once the bass hit).

Quick Reply: Subs not working...