Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DIY box build v2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY box build v2

Enclosure ~ 6.0cuft net tuned to 32Hz , 77.5sq in port area .
Sub ~ Fi CarAudio BTL 18" d2 , fully optioned .

Bought (2) 3/4" MDF 4' x 8' sheet's for $45.00 . Started ripping my sheet's with a circular saw yesterday morning . I use a 8' straight edge clamped on as a guide . It didn't take me that long and the weather was great so I started assembling .

Tools I use is clamp's the length of box I am building , 90 degree corner clamp's , Woodglue , 1 5/8" length #6 coarse thread drywall screw's , drill fixture with a end to make the screw head sit in flush , hand block sander . And then your normal measuring devices .. speed square , tape measure , pencil etc .
Main powertool's I use is a circular saw to rip the MDF sheet's , Drill to apply the screw's and a jigsaw to cutout the sub hole . I usually have plenty of MDF left to use as a workbench sitting on wooden saw horse's I also made .

Started with the Bottom and Back peice's , dryfitted .

Removed the Back peice but left the 90 degree corner clamps as a guide .

Then layed in a ample amount of woodglue . I like to lay down some plastic on the floor so that stuff does not get all over . Once the glue was laid in I set the Back peice in the 90 degree corner clamp's and putt on the big clamp's . I let it set a little bit but not to long where the glue is really setting . Then i start predrilling my holes and then finally applying the screw's .

Next peice was the Left Side , same step's as before . Dryfitted / glued / clamped / screwed .

Right Side

I let it set overnight and the next day I marked out where my Port peice was going to go . On the bottom I also marked it the same .
5" internal width port x 15.5" internal height = 77.5 sq in .

Next I sanded the Front peice that make's up some of the port . Kind of rounded the edge . I plan to do this to all side's of the port opening .
Then I put in the Front peice for good .

I am going to let it set overnight , this is as far as I went .
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lookin good, i knocked out 2 boxes today
Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started today by marking out all my 45's for the corner's . Tried to make a stand for the circular saw to cut them but I can not hold the thing steady , run the peice's through without them kicking back and hold the trigger at the same time lol.

I finally sourced someone with a table saw that would be willing to help me out and it was cake after that .

Dryfitted to check how they sit , looked good but I still needed to cut them to height , chisel the glue off the floor of the box for them to sit flush .

Also got around to cutting the port board to length and rounded the inside edge smooth .

After cutting and scraping dried woodglue I put the box on it's side and layed in some glue where I had scraped off to make sure the box is sealed and then glued 2 of the 45's in.

Started sanding the port some , final sanding will commence later .

Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a huge box, where is it going?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Teching In

whats the purpose of the angled pieces in the corners?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99NBMZ28
whats the purpose of the angled pieces in the corners?
Support, Less flex
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

that a sub box or a coffin?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's going in a '98 Acura Integra .

While they do kind of help support the wall's , it offer's no support to the middle . The idea is to rid the enclosure of any 90 degree corner's . Every turn will be 45 degree's beside's the port board , but I rounded the flat edge . More less for directional airflow .

The perfect sub box would be a round one with no corner's .

Some go with flared slot port , with kerf's cut and the MDF bent into a round shape and fiberglassed for strength . My next box will definately incorporate that technique but it makes the design more complex and for a given space the box would need to be even larger.

This box is about 8 cuft gross so while it is not small , it would just be a port compared to what's out there . I could have went alot bigger but I am putting more power than recommended for this sub so I am building more around the minimal reccomend internal volume for sub control.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have not done alot to it , waiting for glue to dry is about it.

Put in one more 45 yesterday.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installed the port board.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last 45 installed.