Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about factory monsoon speakers

Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about factory monsoon speakers

Ok, my last car i ran all new wires because i replaced all the speakers and amplified them. I got another camaro, and i never really paid attention to how the factory monsoon wiring goes.

I know the speakers are an odd resistance like what 2 or 6 ohms or something, but what happens when i replace the factory head unit? Are the sail panel speakers and rear hatch speakers wired together as a 4 ohm load? The door speakers are 4 ohm, correct?

The reason i ask is because i want to replace the speakers, but leave it mostly stock, so can i use 4 ohm speakers with a new head unit without rewiring anything?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a sticky at the top of this forum that you should read.

The factory monsoon has an amplifier that drives the speakers, located in the spare tire area next to the shock sensor. You can replace the headunit and not have to worry about the speakers working properly. The front door and sail panel speakers are 2ohm, tweeters are 4ohm and hatch speakers are 4 ohm. Check out keeaudio.com for some speakers, he has some combos that should work nicely with the factory amp. The factory amp is has 8 channels, each speaker components gets its own channel.

Search this Thread