Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlight question

if you guys havent seen my backhalf build i am ditching my stock computer and all that its gonna be just an old school small block but ne ways im gonna still want to run my headlights on my trans am now does anyone know or has anyone done this, how to wire them up so they still flip up and down, this is the only wiring nightmare im dreading. thanks guys and if this is in the wrong section sorry about that. tony
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The headlights are not controlled by the PCM (computer) in any way so if you just leave the headlight wiring alone you shouldn't have a problem. Canadian Firebirds have automatic headlights like Camaros but that function is controlled by the daytime running light (DRL) module behind the radio and wouldn't apply to your car anyway.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im talking about the module up front they have there own module they run off of but the question is if i leave all that and just seperate that from the main harness can i hook up say a 12 volt source to it and it still work?or should i just hook them up to a 2pole toggle switch
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I can't imagine why you would want to remove the headlight door module but it's your car...

The problem is that the headlight doors don't have adjustments to set how far they open and close. The headlight door module determines when the doors have reached the end of their travel by the increased resistance in the motors. Even with the module stopping the motors when resistance increases, they are infamous for stripping gears. Without the module, you'll have to come up with your own method for stopping the motors at the correct position.