Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kicker 350.4 shorts out almost burns car down!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker 350.4 shorts out almost burns car down!

I am a very lucky and fortunate individual I think today. I have a 00 Z28 and had a set of Polk MOMO series 6.5 components in the front and rear set up on a Kicker 350.4 amplifier. Well the shocker is . . . under a heavy acceleration yesterday the remote wire while INSULATED and the power wire INSULATED jumped each other right at the amplifier terminals and shorted the amp causing a small fire in my vehicle. I slammed the brakes after looking out the rear view mirror and popped the hatch to pull the Power wire and remote wire to cut off the current going to the amp. Luckily I was able to blow out the small start of a electrical fire and save the car. But... All Pol speakers were seized and locked so i called Polk and they said they would replace them,but Kicker after explianing an AUTHORIZED Kicker installer (Circuit City, which no longer exists) installed the amplifier, they would not warranty the amp (not to mention pay for the damages caused by a faulty amplifier). Any other people have problems with that? I am scared of stepping on the gas from now on, lol!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

um that shoudl not have happened if it was fused properly, thats the point of the fuse
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
um that shoudl not have happened if it was fused properly, thats the point of the fuse
Wrong. Fuses certainly help to prevent fires, but they do not prevent them 100%.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never in 20+ years have I had a problem like that. Dragonrage is correct, a fuse is only a deterrent and is not 100% effective. Nothing is 100% but it should've helped some if properly installed and the fuse was the right amperage. A fuse that's amp rating is too high will not blow when it should and can cause a fire since it continues to allow voltage through.
That really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you!!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Seems to me like the amp shorted out inside and sent voltage to the speakers.That sucks.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your warranty is TWO (2) YEARS from date of original purchase with receipt (the original receipt). if installed by a authorized kicker dealer.

Also, If the damage is due to improper installation, even if it's a authorized dealer you have no warranty.

IMO,take several pictures at least, of the amp where the power connects and where the power cablecconnects to the battery and to the fuse holder under the hood , along with one of the fuse and it amp rating. Then take it by a reputable kicker shop in your area and see what they say.

Good luck!