Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge on Voltmeter Fluctuates... Come Inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you might need new battery cables.
Larger cables are need if you are using a hi amp alternator or
have hi powered stereo system.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shoemike
It sounds like you might need new battery cables.
Larger cables are need if you are using a hi amp alternator or
have hi powered stereo system.
STOCK stereo and STOCK alt.....
Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

I had a buddy install my aftermarket switch for my cut and run wiring for my fans.

Now ever since i run the car with the lights on (have not driven it during the day to notice) but the needle on my voltmeter flucuates and dances. It will be normal when driving at about 14v, then when i am approaching a stop light and put the car in nuetral the voltmeter dips to about 10v the lights dim then it will come back up to 14v and the lights will brighten back up. When i am driving the needle dances a bit??????? ALL my lights (headlight lights, gauge cluster lights, HVAC lights and headlights) flicker and dance around. Again i noticed this AFTER i installed the switch plate.

What is causing something to be drawing power? Is my alt going bad? No i do not have an UDP on my alt....

Please someone help me.

Ohh yea i did notice that i had a little bit of rust on + battery cable, but i took a wire brush and got rid of it all. Seem to fix it but now the problem is back

Thanks for the help
Have you tried removing the switch and all extra added wiring? Maybe that is the cause of your headache? Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joeboulley
Have you tried removing the switch and all extra added wiring? Maybe that is the cause of your headache? Just a thought.
Well with the wiring for my fans, all i did was tap into the wiring that is controlled by the PCM. That is controlled by a relay. I really didn't do much to be honest. And the other thing that is wired up is my cutout which is tapped into my cigeratte lighter....
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

I had a buddy install my aftermarket switch for my cut and run wiring for my fans.

Now ever since i run the car with the lights on (have not driven it during the day to notice) but the needle on my voltmeter flucuates and dances. It will be normal when driving at about 14v, then when i am approaching a stop light and put the car in nuetral the voltmeter dips to about 10v the lights dim then it will come back up to 14v and the lights will brighten back up. When i am driving the needle dances a bit??????? ALL my lights (headlight lights, gauge cluster lights, HVAC lights and headlights) flicker and dance around. Again i noticed this AFTER i installed the switch plate.

What is causing something to be drawing power? Is my alt going bad? No i do not have an UDP on my alt....

Please someone help me.

Ohh yea i did notice that i had a little bit of rust on + battery cable, but i took a wire brush and got rid of it all. Seem to fix it but now the problem is back

Thanks for the help
You have to start there.

I would undo all that and go from there.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw out the idea of the alternator/battery/belts. I've had this issue for years with my car. I have new everything- alt, optima red top, belt as I've went from an UDP back to stock pulley. It did this with both pulleys. As far as I know all F-bodies do this and noone has figured it out. I just try to ignore it altho it's annoying watching my foglights surging while waiting for my car to warm up at night.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple test: add a volt meter to the battery start the car, idle it. if the battery is 10 volts or less when at idle then if you turn off the car and it raises then its your alternator because your alternator is not charging the battery and doesnt have enough to supply the battery back with the power it just lost so therefore now the car is using 2 power supplies alt/batt

Quick Reply: Gauge on Voltmeter Fluctuates... Come Inside