Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

gauge cluster is draining my batt???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gauge cluster is draining my batt???

ok i made another post but got no responses cept for my own so im making this new thread seeing as ive kinda found the culprit...
car was perfectly fine when it went into storage then when it came out (due to my lack of starting it) it was completely dead and boy optimas are a bitch to charge... anyways i got the battery charged and noticed 2-3 days after letting it sit without driving or starting it, it would be dead again.

ive narrowed my short using the test light procedure to the "accypwr" fuse which is a 15 amp fuse. at first i thought it was my aftermarket alarm system but i disconnected it completely and the test light was still on... then i noticed that my tach and temp gauge needles were slightly bouncing and all this time the test light was pulsing. i removed my gauge cluster and bam the light finally went out. no i luckily had another gauge cluster that was working fine and i put it in to see if my gauge cluster was the actual short but the other spare cluster did the same thing and the light was back on pulsing. what the hell could be going on? is this normal? i thought on a properly working car that when you do the test light procedure that the light shouldnt come one and if its on then there is something draining the battery?

oh and everything is shut off in the car doors are shut even removed the stereo. someone please help!

EDIT: something is definately shorting! with the test light hooked up in place of the neg battery cab;e i can hear a faint "on click" coming from somewhere near the wiper cowl area probably inside the car in the dash... and then when i disconnect the test light i can hear a slightly louder more distinct "off click". what the hell could be shorting out? i know with my gauge cluster removed that the test light shuts off and with any other one put in its place the light comes back on. it must have something to do with those wires but what and where????

Last edited by C Murda; 05-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

no one has any ideas???

maybe we can start at where do the wires from the gauges go? i want to try and stay away from taking out my dash
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe its the ground wire on the back side of the intake.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running into very similar problems. Where do i get a kit to test for grounds
Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well actually found where the clicking noise was coming from. its the Body Control Module under the dash behind the glove compartment.... i disconnected it still there is a short just now the test light is flashing on and off at the speed rate of a blinker and no more clicking noise?????

seriously now what could be going on? the only thing i can do is disconnect my gauge cluster and the short is gone although like i said i put in another fine working cluster and the short came back so it cant be the cluster itself...?

Last edited by C Murda; 05-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump....anyone know if the flashng/pulsing test light is just normal???
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so hooked up an ammeter.....

first attempt set it up for mA got no reading...
second attemt set it up to just Amps (10A) first reading was .26 for about 2 second then it jumped to .32 for one second then it just went back to 0 and didnt do anything else.

what is up? someone has to have some ideas or input???
Old 05-19-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

man no one knows anything???