Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subwoofers not working, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default subwoofers not working, help!

I have a 93 TA that I bought 2 weeks ago.

Did this year model also come with a sub woofer amp & if so, where would I look to see where it's located to check the wiring?

The wiring harnesss on each side of the car that runs along the floor boards is intact.

There was evidence that a hack job aftermarket stereo & amp were installed but fortunately the only wiring that I can see was cut was the connecter to the deck, which I got from a boneyard & installed.

Also, the steering wheel controls do not work, though they do light up, & I know that the steering wheel output of the deck works as it is the same deck that was in my 2000 WS6 that I took out when I wrecked it & I put in my 2000 GTP, & in both cars the steering wheel controls worked.

Lastly, anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic of the stereo to trouble shoot it?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The 10-speaker premium audio system in early 4th generation Firebirds is similar to the Monsoon system but wired a little differently. The amp powers only the sail panel subs (unlike the Monsoon amp which powers all speaker except the tweeters). The amp is located behind the right sail trim panel below the speaker, next to the rear seat.

Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring schematic for that system so I can only make some general suggestions based on the similar Monsoon system.

The Monsoon amp is protected by a "RADIO ACCY" fuse in the dash fuse panel (it also handles the power antenna). That would be the first place I would check. If the fuse is okay (or there is no such fuse) then I would pull the trim panel and check for power and ground at the amp itself.

You can find some schematics for your car at http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply.

The car has no amp (nor a power antenna) in that location like my '00 WS6 had, & the harness has no wiring in it for an amp.

Now I'm stumped!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There were two different audio systems available in the early 4th generation Firebirds. The base system had four "extended range" speakers (doors and sail panels). The premium system had ten speakers like the Monsoon (door tweeters, door mids, sail panel subs, hatch tweeters, hatch mids) with the sail panel subs powered by an external amp.

If you have the base system, there is no amp. If you have the premium system, you won't see the amp where it is mounted in your 2000 Monsoon system. Instead, it is mounted below the right sail panel sub close to the bottom cushion of the back seat.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, found it yesterday & I didn't get a chance to post.

I determined the amp is bad (took my trusty Fluke & measured power at the amp Orange feed wire) & replaced it today.
A local guy on Craigs list was selling one for dirt low $$ & now all speakers are working as they should.

Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it!

Now to get the steering wheel controls working!