Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What is this for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this for?

Hi. I just got my acer netbook today for my carputer install. I planed on putting it under radio area for closer/easier wiring and so that i can take out the netbook and work on it without having to take off any panels or reach under seat.

This is barely in the way though and I wanted to trim the bottom of it. But before I do, what is it for? Looks like it might be used for structural support of something above it maybe?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Uh... that's your heater. That's the ductwork that directs air to the floor when you set the HVAC controls to heat or bilevel.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ oh i couldnt feel any openings/tubes in it. hmmm, so im guessing thats not a good place to put a netbook then... unless i trim the bottom and reseal it and fill the holes that would be pointed to the pc.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to do it under the dash, I'd rather see you do it on the passenger side. For the heater stuff, just make a diverter to direct the heat away from the laptop if it's too close. I'm not sure under the dash is where I'd put it at all, though.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, well unless you have a good argument (which im open to) it seems to be the best place...

I use the back seats a lot so the front seats are moved back and forth a lot so that seems illogical - when i scoot them up, their feet would be on it. then in the wheel well, i'd need a powered hub in the front, which would shut off with the car. since the laptop stays on for another minute, it would constantly see everything being unplugged and replugged which everyone says is bad and leads to problems. i never really but the heat on feet anyways - just one defrost or top so i dont think i'll have to worry about that, but id put some metal pieces in between, then a plastic to hopefully keep any heat away.