Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Im about to do the Big 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im about to do the Big 3

I am about to do the big three on my car and had a couple questions. First, why is no one replacing the positive lead from the battery to the fuse/distrobution block? Second, are you removing the old wires or just adding the new ones? Third, is there anywhere i could see some pictures of this, it seem like the pictures were deleted on all the threads that had them, or my computer is crapping out.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Launching!

its called big 3 for a reason lol, only need to do battery to alternator, battery to chassis, engine to chassis. You dont have to remove the old wire because electricity will take the path of least resistance. Some take the old wires out to clean it up a bit.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dilatedpeoples28
its called big 3 for a reason lol, only need to do battery to alternator, battery to chassis, engine to chassis. You dont have to remove the old wire because electricity will take the path of least resistance. Some take the old wires out to clean it up a bit.
So whats the reason? To me it seem like if you dont upgrade the battery to the fuse/distribution block you are missing a step. Isin this the point where the car pulls power for the electrical system? The only thing i can think of is that the draw on that point isnt enough to warrent it but it couldnt hurt.

Last edited by badaSS346; 06-09-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badaSS346
So whats the reason? To me it seem like if you dont upgrade the battery to the fuse/distribution block you are missing a step. Isin this the point where the car pulls power for the electrical system? The only thing i can think of is that the draw on that point isnt enough to warrent it but it couldnt hurt.
could be replaced, but we are more concerned with the draw from the stereo amps and how much current is available from the alternator
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

leaving the stock wires on (in addition to the BIG3) will reduce the overall resistance of the system.
For example, lets say your old wire is 1ohm and you new wire is 0.5ohm. If you replace the old wire with the bigger wire then you have decreased the resistance from 1ohm to 0.5ohm, but if you use both wires together you have reduced the resistance from 1ohm to 0.33ohm. But it would look a lot cleaner if you just used the BIG 3 wire.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
could be replaced, but we are more concerned with the draw from the stereo amps and how much current is available from the alternator
Gotcha
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
leaving the stock wires on (in addition to the BIG3) will reduce the overall resistance of the system.
For example, lets say your old wire is 1ohm and you new wire is 0.5ohm. If you replace the old wire with the bigger wire then you have decreased the resistance from 1ohm to 0.5ohm, but if you use both wires together you have reduced the resistance from 1ohm to 0.33ohm. But it would look a lot cleaner if you just used the BIG 3 wire.
look like im leaving the stock wires in when i do this then.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run our amp wires from our batteries. The amp wire thus does not travel across the wire that goes to the main fuse block, so it doesn't need to be upgraded. You can upgrade it if you want, though. If you have extra wire and get bored, go for it.

.................................................. .......(separate wire) -> amp
Alternator -> (upgraded wire) -> battery <
.................................................. .......(stock wire is fine) -> fuse block (no more power is being drawn here)