Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon question (yes, I already read the sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon question (yes, I already read the sticky)

I just replaced my Monsoon HU in my 99 Camaro with a JVC Kd-R600. I needed the functionality of USB, and MP3 CD. Also nice to have the option to add satellite, HD radio, and bluetooth later as money becomes available

Following the info in the sticky, hook up went just fine except for one issue...

I don't seem to be getting anything or very little) out of my sail speakers. Playing with the fader and all that didn't bring anything to my sails. Only works with front and rear. I figured the amp is either not working properly or gone passive (if it can do that...I don't know) when its hooked up to the JVC. Radio accy fuse is fine. Hook old HU back up and all is well. All wires are accounted for on the wiring harness, also. Speakers are still all factory, BTW.

It all sounds ok...just lacks the punch that little amp gave the monsoon HU.

I didn't see anything that said the amp [U]wouldn't[U] work correctly with another HU. Any thoughts?

TIA
^JR^
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the camaro monsoon the monsoon amp powers everything

is there a highpass filter turned on in your radio that would severily limit the sail subs output
Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The Monsoon amp doesn't know (or care) if you have an aftermarket head unit. It just takes whatever speaker-level input you send it, amplifies it, and sends it to each of the eight speakers in your Camaro. Pentavolvo is probably on the right track - is there some signal filtering going on in your HU? (especially since everything works when the old HU is reconnected)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Monsoon amp doesn't know (or care) if you have an aftermarket head unit. It just takes whatever speaker-level input you send it, amplifies it, and sends it to each of the eight speakers in your Camaro. Pentavolvo is probably on the right track - is there some signal filtering going on in your HU? (especially since everything works when the old HU is reconnected)
Hehehe didn't think monsoon was that discriminating. I'll check again for some filtering going on. anyone got anything else?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly if ur oem radio works the system fine and as long as ur didnt mix up the wires on ur harness it should work fine. do the hatch speakers work, ill assume so

the highpass filter on ur radio if its on which it could be only passes highfrequencies, while the sail panels only play lower frequencies so it esentially gets no signal if that in fact is the case