Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Couple questions on installing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Couple questions on installing speakers

I just bought the 4th Gen Premium Replacement Speaker System from Kee Audio and I'm in the processing of installing them, but have a few questions on the wiring.

Door speakers: Can I just wire the tweeter and Mid to the existing wire pairs, or would I get noticably better quality by using the included crossovers that came with the kit? If I really should use the crossover, do I just use the wires for the Mid as input? And where would be a good spot to actually mount the crossover? (preferably somewhere in the door itself. I don't want to have to re-route wires right now)

Sail Panel speakers: There are two pair of wires going to each speaker. From the wiring diagram in the Monsoon faq, each pair is labelled sub +/-. The factory speakers are clearly not coax speakers, so what gives here? Is it ok to just use one of the pair on each side? Is there any pairing I should be concerned with from left to right? ie if I use the Tan/White wire pair on the left, should I also use the Red/Tan pair on the right, or the green/blue pair, or does it matter?

Hatch speakers: The CDT speakers going in the Hatch are coax speakers. Which pair of wires from the hatch should I use for these speakers, the ones going to the tweeter, or to the mid? Or does it not matter?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump.

Still looking for some info here. For now I only have the two sets of 6.5" speakers connected. Tweeters and hatch speakers are installed, but not wired up at this time. Needless to say, sound quality is somewhat limited right now, and I'm keeping the volume low in case there's a problem with the way I've wired up the 4 woofers.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just call Ian who you bought them from, great guy and he should walk you through it. (770)402-1884
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've already left him a couple messages, one of Friday and one on Saturday. Haven't heard back from him.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I've been having trouble with my phone system. I am currently upgrading it and my website at the same time and keeping up with orders.
For the doors I would keep the existing wires and reuse the connectors. The crossovers could only be used for the tweeters anyway and would need more power to get maximum sound quality. Just cut the connectors off the old speakers and use with the new speakers so you can plug back into the stock systems hiring harness.
The CL-6's are SVC so you only use one pair of the pos and neg with those. Cap off the other pair. Again you can reuse the conector off the old speaker and cap the other pair off.
The rear 4" speakers are to be used with the mid speakers wiring. The tweeter is not used in this case and can be left unplugged back there or connected if more treble is desired.
Hope this helps you out!! Sorry for not getting to you sooner. I am trying to catch up with all the phone calls my phone has been sending directly to voice mail. Some have been lost for some reason (deleted by the system) but the ones I have recovered I am trying to get back to ASAP. It's been a real nightmare.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Hey Raskell,
I just got my set from Ian (got the Premium as well) and was wondering how you mounted the subs in the sail pannel. The stock mounting hardware doesn't appear to fit. The clip/nut is too deep. Did you drill new holes? How do you like them?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used some self-tapping screws, so essentially yes, I drilled new holes.

The speakers are a big improvement over the factory speakers, but I do feel the factory monsoon amp is still holding back their full potential. I have an old sub amp sitting in the closet and I'm gonna buy a new 4 channel amp and install them after the 4th of July holiday. Tie the sub amp to the sail panel subs, and use the 4 channel for the 4 door speakers. That'll give me much better control over what frequencies go to what speakers.

I've tried connecting and disconnecting the hatch speakers, and from the front seats of the car I can't even hear a difference, so I won't even bother leaving those wired up.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks Raskell came to the same conclusion can't wait to have my stero back