Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

interior courtesy lights ground

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interior courtesy lights ground

Looking for the ground wire for the interior courtesy lights
mine dont work, replaced the fuse checked the bulbs and no go
accidently touched the metal housing to the body when reinstalling
and the light lit up and blew the fuse, so obvioulsly my ground is the issue

where is this located and is it possible for the BCM to factor into this ?

thanks in advance

Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G200 Near the left A-pillar, bolted to the IP mounting stud behind the kick panel (all interior switches, all interior lights, rear mirrors, instrument cluster, steering wheel controls, cig lighter, blower motor relay, radio, BCM, Amp, DRL, seat belts, shock sensor, DLC)
interior courtesy lights ground-768772.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All except the courtesy lights. Have a closer look at the schematic and you'll see that ground G200 is used to provide a full ground for the map lights and glove box. The BCM provides a variable ground for the courtesy lights through the white wire (circuit 156) to create the theater dimming effect.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Launching!

I checked the ground near the hood release (behind the plastic kick panel) it was fine,

My map lights work corrrectly when used with the manual switch on the rearview mirror
the "dome" lights which are located on the panels by the speakers next to the rear seats
do not when the door is opened or when pressing the remote
neither does the map lights when doing the same.
the gauges still flash as well as the drl's

so am i understanding correctly that it is a bcm issue?
and need to remove and "resolder" the paths?
or is there something else i need to be looking at

all imput and help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it is probably a BCM issue although there are other possibilities such as door switch (e.g. the system could think the door is open all the time).

No, it is not likely that taking the BCM apart and resoldering will fix the problem. The broken solder fix is for a very specific problem involving the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit - it is not a general "fix everything in the BCM" solution. The BCM handles many other functions besides that... VATS, audible chimes, courtesy lights, alarm, keyless entry, etc. I would expect that, if the BCM is indeed the problem, replacing the module will be the only way to fix it.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

thanks!

i couldnt find any door switches, where are they located?

any way to test the bcm? hate to buy a $200 part if it wont do it

looking at the diagram #156 would run right off the bcm
and do you know where the juction for S247
would be since all 3 are in op I would assume that would be the most likely canidate?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The door switches are mounted to the door latch mechanism (unlike older cars that had a separate pin switch at the front door jamb). It's easy to tell if the door switches are causing a problem. When you shut off the ignition does the radio stop at the same time? If so, the BCM thinks one of the doors is open and is shutting off the RAP circuit. On the other hand, if the radio continues to play even after opening a door then the BCM isn't seeing the door open and that door switch is the likely problem.

Beyond that, it's a matter of getting back to basics with diagnostic testing. For example, the next step would be to use a multimeter or test light (a test light would be easier in this case) to see if the BCM provides a variable ground on the white wire (circuit 156). Connect the clip of the test light to a power source and use the probe end at the white wire connection on the BCM to see if the test light goes on and fades as it should when the courtesy lights would be activated.

If the test light works properly at the BCM then the problem is in the white wire someplace between the lights and the BCM. If it doesn't work, try the same thing only this time using the dark blue with white courtesy light power supply wire (circuit 149) along with the white wire ground. That will tell you if the BCM is supplying power to the courtesy lights when it should. If that still doesn't work then you can safely assume that the BCM is the problem.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The door switches are mounted to the door latch mechanism (unlike older cars that had a separate pin switch at the front door jamb). It's easy to tell if the door switches are causing a problem. When you shut off the ignition does the radio stop at the same time?

If so, the BCM thinks one of the doors is open and is shutting off the RAP circuit. On the other hand, if the radio continues to play even after opening a door then the BCM isn't seeing the door open and that door switch is the likely problem.

Beyond that, it's a matter of getting back to basics with diagnostic testing. For example, the next step would be to use a multimeter or test light (a test light would be easier in this case) to see if the BCM provides a variable ground on the white wire (circuit 156). Connect the clip of the test light to a power source and use the probe end at the white wire connection on the BCM to see if the test light goes on and fades as it should when the courtesy lights would be activated.

If the test light works properly at the BCM then the problem is in the white wire someplace between the lights and the BCM. If it doesn't work, try the same thing only this time using the dark blue with white courtesy light power supply wire (circuit 149) along with the white wire ground. That will tell you if the BCM is supplying power to the courtesy lights when it should. If that still doesn't work then you can safely assume that the BCM is the problem.
THANKS! ill try after work, the radio keeps playing after the ignition is off so the door switches are fine i assume.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Launching!

back from the dead....

I cant seem to find the issue, i did end up taking the bcm out and redoing the connnections as well
the remote and locks although were working is now much more responsive

i know there are some programming options with the remote is there anychance that it could be corrected via that route

it has been a long time now without the courtesy lights so its not the end of the world but i am investing into the car doing some upgrades etc and would like to have them working again

thanks
-John
Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Did you do the suggested testing with a test light or meter? If so, what results did you get?

Quick Reply: interior courtesy lights ground