Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound fades out from speakers unless you push on faceplate

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound fades out from speakers unless you push on faceplate

I bought my 2000 SS a year ago and there was an aftermarket head unit with amp and sub already installed. Over time I noticed the sound would kind of fade out from a couple of speakers. I found that I could push on the face plate and the sound would return to all speakers. I thought maybe there was a problem with the unit being grounded, so I ran a new ground but it did not fix the problem. I recently purchased a new head unit and completely rewired everything. Sounded incredible at first but after a couple of weeks, the new unit began doing the same thing. I've noticed that I can remove the unit (slide it out of the metal sleeve) and re-install it and it sounds great again.. for a while. Anyone else heard of this or know what the problem is?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Yea.. it does sound like something is shorting it out. This is one of those things I could possible fix if I was in the car.Umm...check around at all the wires make sure no wires have copper showing or the wrong wires are maybe abraded and rubbing on each other.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a short. Take a picture of your wiring harness behind the radio. It sounds like you may have a problem with the radio itself. Units are typically cheaper to replae than they are to fix if this is the case.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Delayed response but it may help someone else diagnose the same issue in their car.... BAD RCA CABLE. The center male tip was loose hence the reason pushing on the faceplate would temporarily fix the issue. Replaced the cable and I now have incredible sound.