Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

about to buy some CDTs from Kee. Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default about to buy some CDTs from Kee. Questions.

I'm using the factory Monsoon deck and amp, my door speakers are blown and need replacing. My question is, are the CDT CL-E61CV worth the extra $ over the CL-61CVs? I've heard people say that if you're running the factory amp it doesn't really make sense to get the pricier version as it isn't going to get the full capabilities of the speakers. Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

I have no experience with these speakers but i look at the situation like this: if somewhere down the line the amp takes a dump and you replace it, what would you rather have? i always plan my system components for where i want the system to be when all factory components are changed.

Last edited by bmnicolosi; 06-28-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: edit wording
Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

I dont know about the Cl-61cv because i have not heard them.. however... I bought the following from Ian and am very happy:

CDT CL-E61CV
CDT HD-M6
CDT CL-4X
CDT SQA-4100

I love the Cl-E61cv and the HD-M6 with this amp. I havent installed the rear Cl-4X yet because I am waiting to tune the front 4 yet and see how it sounds. I may not even go with the rears, I just have to see.

I would highly suggest going with Ian though, He is a good dude. Very willing to help, very knowledgable and professional.

I would second the above advice about planning how you want your system down the line.

Nick
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Ls1zfast. I went ahead with the CL-61CV. I'm sure it'll sound much better than stock. A question about your setup though - did you just swap out the factory Monsoon amp for the SQA-4100? If so, how easy was it to do? You mount it in the same location.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

No - I took out the factory monsoon and put in my amp. You cannot mount it where the stock one is mounted, it is to large. I mounted it in the back under the hatch latch.

It is not to difficult.. although I rewired the entire system with 12 gauge speaker wire, and I would suggest you put in some new wire as well if you are thinking of going with a better amp.

Also... Many of your questions can be answered if you read all the stickies about the monsoon amp and the wiring diagram.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you like the CDT amp?

I'm running HD-62's in my car with an EF-10 DVC in a JL StealthBox...I have the tweeters mounted near the rearview mirrors...but I made the pods mount to the a-pillars instead of the door traingle plastic things. I also have the UP-222 upstage tweeters flushmounted in my a-pillars firing across the dash...I absolutely love the speakers...running them off an 2 alpine amps now, 400 watts to the sub at 2 ohms and 100 watts per channel to the HD-62/UP-222 stuff...but considering the CDT amp as a change...considering a set of HD-M6's or HD-M6+'s for my sail panels too. I bought all the speakers and the JL box from Ian at KeeAudio...already had all the apline electronics (head unit, processor and amps) otherwise I'd have bought them all from him too.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I like it a lot. Like I said, I have not had time to get it tuned in perfectly with the line out converter, crossovers, and head unit. However, it is very promising/nice even without a ton of tuning. It has plenty of juice for my taste and doesnt seem to drain my battery to bad. Pretty easy to install, has some nice features, and good power output.

Nick
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcoers
I'm using the factory Monsoon deck and amp, my door speakers are blown and need replacing. My question is, are the CDT CL-E61CV worth the extra $ over the CL-61CVs? I've heard people say that if you're running the factory amp it doesn't really make sense to get the pricier version as it isn't going to get the full capabilities of the speakers. Thoughts?
Hi,
Here are a couple of pics I had of the 2 drivers in the component sets. The CL-E6 driver has a cast frame basket, larger magnet, more venting for the voicecoil for better cooling, and larger voice coil. This basically translates into more power handling then anything. They both use a phase plug design (bullet shaped center cap area) for less distortion at higher volume and share the same carbon treated cone and butyl rubber surround.
For a stock system the CL-6E (yes...6E not E6) is fine which is the driver in the CL-61CV component set. It will also handle moderate aftermarket power fine as well. For bigger power I would definetely say the CL-E61CV for a Camaro. This is due to it being able to still be mounted in the stock area with no mod to accommodate the seperate tweeter since it can be mounted coaxially with the CV sets. For a Firebird sky's the limit since it already has provision for a seperate component set so there are more options. I use these because they work well in both cars quite well and sound good even on stock power.
Here are the pics of both drivers:
CDT CL-E6 driver (CL-E61CV comp set driver)

CL-6E (driver in CL-61CV) next to the CL-E6 (driver in CL-E61CV) driver:

Quick Reply: about to buy some CDTs from Kee. Questions.