Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

3-way Active Crossover Network (Curiosity)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3-way Active Crossover Network (Curiosity)

This is just pure curiosity, not looking to buy one.

I was browsing around through Sonic Electronix the other night and came across a 3-way Active Crossover Network from Clif Designs. I've hooked up a few stereos but don't consider myself that knowledgeable.

Anyway I couldn't really figure out what these things are supposed to do after doing a Google search.

To me it looks like they improve S/N Ratio (sound quality) but I'm not sure. Do they just serve as a better way to tune fine aspects of a system like an equalizer or something?

This is what I am referring too - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ns+CDQ3X.html#

Edit: I tried to not post that as a link (sponsor issues) but it autolinks it, even after going back and editing.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More efficiency and consistency without using power from the signal. No passive crossover approaches 24db.
Plus the one I bought splits it up 4 ways, sub, mid bass, front rear.
I just installed the audio controls 6XS and love it. But I have it running 3 separate amps.

Ed
Old 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the Audio control unit.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an explanation of Active vs. Passive. Active definitley gives you more tuning capabilities. Best to go with an external xover (like the Audio Control). You could go active with a HU and amps but it would take a lot of planning.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146726

Quick Reply: 3-way Active Crossover Network (Curiosity)