Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rear speaker cut out.. need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speaker cut out.. need help!!!

hey guys I have a 96 z28 with the bose system, but i replaced pretty much all of the stereo system including the head unit which i swapped for a jvc, front and rear sets of speakers which i swapped for infiniti kappas and the hatch woofer which i replaced with a small amplified subwoofer. anyway the whole system had been working fine until recently i lost response from the driver side rear speaker. i obviously checked the connection to the actual speaker itself and to the head unit and all connections are intact. This brings me to the issue, there is obviously a break or disruption in the wiring from the speaker to the head unit, and i have no idea how to access this wiring or even where it goes through the car. so if someone who has some clue could tell me where the rear pillar driver side speaker wire runs to get to the head unit that would be amazing.

Thanks guys,

Keith
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lambaro2806
hey guys I have a 96 z28 with the bose system, but i replaced pretty much all of the stereo system including the head unit which i swapped for a jvc, front and rear sets of speakers which i swapped for infiniti kappas and the hatch woofer which i replaced with a small amplified subwoofer. anyway the whole system had been working fine until recently i lost response from the driver side rear speaker. i obviously checked the connection to the actual speaker itself and to the head unit and all connections are intact. This brings me to the issue, there is obviously a break or disruption in the wiring from the speaker to the head unit, and i have no idea how to access this wiring or even where it goes through the car. so if someone who has some clue could tell me where the rear pillar driver side speaker wire runs to get to the head unit that would be amazing.

Thanks guys,

Keith
Remove your radio (unplug harness) and rear speaker (unplug speaker). Take a multimeter with continuity testing and check the following.

Place one lead (doesn't matter which one) at the solid green wire from the head unit's wiring harness and the other for the positive lead of your speaker. You should hear a beep if the connection is not broke. Do the same with the green wire with black stripe, and the negative terminal of the speaker.

Also, check continuity from the green wire to ground, and from the green and black wire to ground. If the meter beeps, your speaker wire is shorted or pinched.

Shift the head units balance to the left and the fader to the rear to ensure that the speaker is not playing.

Plug the speaker in to a known good amplified audio source to verify proper function.

This should get you started trouble shooting. If all else fails, run a new wire and save yourself the headache.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also my friend I believe that this particular part of the wire harness runs down the driver's side, underneath the door sill cover (to the left of your left foot while driving).
You may need an angle driver to remove the philips head screws. Don't forget that you can move the seat back and forward while trying to remove this panel. It's the same panel that houses the hood-pull latch. It all comes off as one large piece but it's a pain to pull off without the right tools or the seat removed.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Teching In

alright thank you for all of the helpful information. I will check it out tonight
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

alright so i only have an older type multimeter w/o a connectivity check. but i did get a reading when i put the green to positive and likewise when i put the green w/ black stripe to the negative. I checked the speaker using another amplifier and it works fine, it is practically brand new after all. i also found out that the speaker wiring runs under the carpet under the driver seat and is not very accessible. so i guess im just gonna have to run new speaker wires from the speaker to the head unit unless you have any other ideas.